coralvue MH value?

sturner

Just wondering if any of you know if $189.00 shipped is a good deal on a coralvue 250w MH retro plug and play kit, with bulb ballast and reflector.
Also wondering how many lights I'll need for my tank. My tank dims are 48" x 12" x 12" or 29.9g.
Can I get away with one MH in the center of my canopy or do I need two, one for each end???

reefforbrains

I think thats allot of light for such a small tank. I would suggest a dual 150 or even a triple 70w instead. You will save on your monthly powerbill, and more importantly the heat factor. You will also get a much more even coverage.

sturner

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with HO t5's though. seems to be the best for my situation (so I've been told)

sturner

I have no plans for acros or harder to keep corals, but would like to have zoos, shrooms, frogspawn, leathers, maybe xenia, colt, etc... Would like to keep an anenome at some point in time. When I first asked the question about putting MH on this tank everyone shrieked at the thought that I would be cooking the tank and it's inhabitants. Then I got on the HO-T5 thread and got alot of positive feedback on the t5's, escpecially since my water column will be so shallow. With the t-5's I'll have 5.3wpg and the light won't have to penetrate but about 10" of water.