corraline algae-need help growing it

misskitty

I feel like I have posted this before.. but why cant I get this stuff to grow! I have good calcium and feather dusters every where and my corals are growing like wild flowers.. even my candy canes, which I heard are hard to keep. I have NO green hair algea.. and god knows thats a big step for me! LOL.:p How come I can see people with a but load of hair algea yet ALOT of corraline algae? I want a share of this purple goodness too! I had a piece of small LR with a BUTT load of life on it.. but alas I had to boil it due to majano. ( sp) and the rest of the rock was base rock ( well was LR but due to a long move and other unforseen hurricans as soon as we moved here.. ( yea I would like to give that trophy to Rita)
But there IS corraline algae on some of my snails.. I think this would help spread "the love" but alas.. it has not. Should I buy anouther small piece with some corraline algae? Or any one else live in the near Shreavport LA area that is willing to give or trade a piece? Cause my LFS has LR but none with corraline algae. When I got that last piece it was of pure luck that some guy was selling his tank with all his corals in it and I got a piece of it he sold to the LFS.
Any help.. would be awsome.. I feel like somthing is sinking into my head right... what am I missing?

promisetbg

Check your alkalinity and magnesium. Get a few pieces that have coraline, and scrape some of it into the water column with a knife or toothbrush..or something similar.

the sherm

KALWASER IS WHAT YOU NEED EVERY TIME YOU ADD MAKE UP WATER DO IT WITH KALWASER I HAVE A 10 GALLON GARBAGE BUCKET. I ATTACHED A SHUT OFF VALVE TO THE BOTTOM ABOUT TWO INCHES BEFORE THE BOTTOM SO IT DOESN'T GET CLOGGED WITH THE POWDER. IN THE SHUT OFF VALVE I ATTACHED VINAL HOSE TO THE SUMP WITH A FLOAT SWITCH SO NOT TO OVER FLOW. I GOT IT FROM HARD WARE STORE $8.00 BUCKS. PLUS SALT LEVEL DOESN'T DROP DRASTICALY OR GO UP. BUT THE REAL BONUS IS THAT I ONLY HAVE TO FILL THE BUCKET WITH KALWASER AND WATER EVERY 10 DAY'S OR SO. USE TWO TEASPOONS OF KALWASER FOR EVERY GALLON OF WATER FOR GOOD CORALINE. I HAD MY TANK FOR TWO YEARS AND NO CORALINE THEN TRIED THIS SIX MON AGO AND I HAVE IT GROIN ON THE GLASS ALREADY. PS IM IN LA IF YOU STILL WANT SOME LR. JD4FISH@SBCGLOBAL.NET

murph

Like sherm I too noticed better coraline growth after starting to drip kalk mix.
You need to be careful with it as it can change your PH and alk quite drasticlly if introduced to fast or in too high a mixture. A slow drip during lights out hours is pretty much the preferred method.
Like everything in this hobby I suggest you research its use before trying and take things slow at first, testing often for PH, calcium and alk as you get a handle on how much and how fast you need to introduce the mixture for your particular system.
There is plenty of info over the web easily available by typing kalkwasser in your preferred search engine and this forums search function.
After finding the right dosage routine for your system it is no doubt the easiest and cheapest way to maintain pretty much rock solid levels for PH, alk and calcium IMO and there seems to be something about it that the reef just loves.

misskitty

Thanks Guys.. I will have to look into that!
BTW.. I dont lilve In LA Calafornia.. I ment LA Louisiana.. :D

jbair

Not Fort Polk!!! Your a brave women, I hate Polk, too many JRTCs
And it always rained on us.

stingrayjs

If you keep your water quality good, and your calc, mag, ect where they should be with enough light it will grow. Just takes time, and seedinf the tank will help but will still take time. (months)

alvin

Originally Posted by Rach4194
I used this stuff and it grew like mad...
Any comments on this stuff? Where did you buy this stuff anyways :thinking:

merredeth

I don't like using Kalawasser, and prefer Purple Up as it seems to grow the correline like mad.
Test before and during doses to make sure your ph, alk and calcium levels are within normal parameters.
Also, you should scrape some correline to seed your tank.
I have been using Purple Up for about a year and love it.
Denise M.

rach4194

At my lfs. I think theres a web address at the bottom of the bottle.
Pics of my rock. It took about 2 months. They were live rock but very brown and white in color. I made sure my water was alway good as well.
Some pics, all these rocks used to be very brown/white

marinenut

Purple up is the way to go. You'll notice a difference after a week. Just 1 capful per 50 gallons no more than once a day.

cripps72

My tank has been running for approx: 8 months ,the live rock i got had quite a bit.....so far i have not added anything to the tank and i do frequent water changs and i have it growing on my phs and filter tube and back glass. Im just un sure about adding extra to the tank.

promisetbg

If you run tests for alkalinity, Ca and Magnesium{Salifert test kits}..then you know how much if any will be needed..and how much is being used by the tank's inhabitants. It takes awhile to get the hang of it,but better to err on the side of caution and go easy until you learn your tank's needs.

moorea2

Hate to barge in but I have a question....
Probably a stupid one.
My live rock came with some on it but it wasn't all purple there were some really nice light greens, reds, oranges, pinks and of course mostly purple. During the cycle most of the other colors went away, still a very little light green and maybe reds but what is left is mostly purple. Is there a way to bring the other colors back? Will any of the above mentioned methods do this or will it all end up purple?

promisetbg

I have had a few nice shipments with that pretty colored rock,it has always given way to the purple and red. The first year of my 75 gal, before getting stronger lighting..my rock had the prettiest color. There is still some, but the high lighting eliminates most of it on top of the rocks.

moorea2

I'm just slowly watching all the other pretty colors go away and the purple take over!!!
It's a shame they dont make "green up" and "pink up" guess thats why they call it "purple up"
I wonder if skraping of a green spot or pink spot would spawn more of that color or if it would just spawn more purple... I'd hate to skrape off what little I have left if it wasn't going to work.