Corraline Algae

cb

I was wondering if anyone out there knew exactly how many colors of corraline algae there were. Also where you might get the different colors . Right now I have the purple with just a few spots of deep maroon. Can you have more than one color in your tank?:D

dattong

I have seen these colors in my tank so far: pink, purple, green, brown (not algea), dark red. The majority is purple, then pink, then green, brown and dark red

dattong

they come with LR. Most of them died off during the cycle, but then they've all
come back later after all.

serpentine5

CB
What do you mean when you asked if he seaded the LR with chips? Can you buy algea seads? Plant them in/on the LR and have it grow? If so, I want some! Where do you get it?

serpentine5

Since I do not have any fish, I can cut my skinner off for like a week or so, right? It would not have any adverse affects would it?
BTW, I have two power filters on my tank, only one intake has coriline algea growing on it. The other does not.

Let see If I got this right... If you turn your skimmer down, or turn it of (how often?) it will help your coraline growth? Cause I am trying to get some pinks', but no luck. I got some purple in the rocks, and I got some green, white chips on the glass but thats about it!!! If I was to find pink coraline chips, and put them in my tank will they spread, will they actually survive???

cb

If you have fish in the tank how long or how often should you turn the skimmer off. And for those who ask about seeds what I mean is algae scrappings off a rock that already has corraline algae growing on it.:D

goatfish

I have read somewhere that that on of the main elements people lack for coraline is magnesium. That most of the salt mix companies including instant ocean skimp on this to make their salt faster dissolving, and that it is essential for growth. So someone may need to add it to their system. I for one use it in one of my addititives and can't stop the stuff from growing evrywhere including my glass which has become a pain in the a#$

cb

I actually have quite a bit of corraline algae growing in my tank and notice new growth constantly, but was trying to figure out how to get different colors in there as I have mostly purple with a little bit of maroon. I have a lot of water movement in my tank and my ph is 8.2 I dose with Reef complete twice a week. I don't know what my calcium and alkalinty run as I don't have test kits for that at home. I have taken my water to the lfs and had them test it and they told me everything was where it should be. The lighting I have is a 10,000k and a actinic blue.

cb

disdomincan

[hr]
Do you have any corraline algae at all on any of your rocks? If so you can take a brand new soft toothbrush and lightly brush over the algae to spread the spores. If not then see if you can find someone who has some that they can give you some scrapings off of.

I'll try brushing the corraline with a new brush. Do you guys clean your glass, would a magfloat scrape of the corraline (hopefully not)

dima96

i have a mag float and it does not scrape the corraline off but i have a kent scraper that does. i just use the kent scraper on the front and viewable side b/c if i scrape any more the i get a huge corraline bloom a few days later