Corraline

supalupa

Will an excessive amount of corraline growth cause me to have to add more calcium? I have been adding calcium like crazy for the last 2 weeks I even bought a different kind of test kit cause I can't seem to get my calcium in the 400's. I am currently using a salifert test. Using reef complete by seachem to raise calcium. My calcium is currently at 350 and my alk is at 9. I decided to try and find out if it is the corraline so I scraped it all off my glass. The back glass was completely covered with corraline. Even if it wasn't the problem I love the way the tank looks. I have a black background and it really brings out the color in my coral and live rock.
I don't have any sps in the tank except the 1 piece I put in the other day. So where is all my calcium going?

S

saltfreak4

Originally Posted by supalupa
Will an excessive amount of corraline growth cause me to have to add more calcium? I have been adding calcium like crazy for the last 2 weeks I even bought a different kind of test kit cause I can't seem to get my calcium in the 400's. I am currently using a salifert test. Using reef complete by seachem to raise calcium. My calcium is currently at 350 and my alk is at 9. I decided to try and find out if it is the corraline so I scraped it all off my glass. The back glass was completely covered with corraline. Even if it wasn't the problem I love the way the tank looks. I have a black background and it really brings out the color in my coral and live rock.
I don't have any sps in the tank except the 1 piece I put in the other day. So where is all my calcium going?
yes coralline algae will eat up the calcium in the tank and some magnesium also, so keep an eye on the mag too. Congrats people try to grow this stuff!

supalupa

I don't have a test kit for magnesium but I believe Reef Complete maintains magnesium and strontium levels as well.

acrylic51

Buy a Mag test kit and check your Mag levels......Do you have a Strontium test kit as well? Just because a product says it maintains the levels doesn't necessarily mean it is or will.......Check em.....