Corralline dieoff

texag04

I dont know what is going on with my coralline. I've had my LR for about 3 weeks now and the coralline is beginning to turn white. I tested my water and everything is fine. My nitrates are at 10 ppm. Can it be I need calcium? What promotes coralline growth and how long does it take for it to fully engulf the rocks?

bobbravo2

What is your alkalinity and calcium at? you need calcium 400-450 ppm, and alkalinity above 3.2 meq/l or 8 dkh. hth

jumpfrog

It's not unusual to see some die-off after adding to a new tank. The algae needs to adjust just like corals do. Keep you calc and alk levels as mentioned above and it should come back in time.

jonthefb

it could definately mean that you need to begin adding calcium and alkaline supplements to keep your levels optimal for growth! get a calcium and alkalinity test kit and see whats up!
good luck
jon

spsfreak100

the coralline is beginning to turn white.
This is most likely the cause of a low Alkalinity and/or Calcium level. I have found that coralline starts to grow the most around 10-14dKH, instead of around 8dKH. A Calcium level of around 450ppm should also help in getting coralline to grow.
A sudden shock of lighting may also cause coralline bleaching.
Graham

texag04

Can lighting be a factor here? I keep my lights on about 10 hrs a day. The flo. bulb isnt powerful at only 15 watts, it came with the tank. So alkalinity is more important than calcium for corraline growth?

overanalyzer

Coralinee will bleach if it goes through a dramatic lighting switch ... so was it being blasted by MH? If so and you moved it to NO bulbs it will bleach some - but should nto be a whole sale die off.
Are you using this rock to cycle the tank?
OTherwise follow the above suggestions!

jedininja

Are you saying you only have 15 watts of NO on your tank? That may be one of the causes of why the coralline is dying off. Coralline if a form of plantlife, so it does need more lighting to thrive.