Correct QT Procedure?

kadella

Hi All - I have taken Beth's advice of course & cycled a 10 gal QT right along with my DT using LR. Both of these tanks are my 1sts. After about a month or so, the cycles are coming to a halt. In the QT, I am running a sm. heater, & hang-on filter, 1 Powerhead and some chunks of LR and pvc peices, no substrate. Now when I get my 1st fish and it appears to be healthy at the store or when I receive it - I am to put it it QT for at least 3 weeks & observe it? For healthy eating, healthy appearance, etc... I do not treat the water with anything correct? Unless a problem arises? I seem to be doing things backwards than other posters here... I am QT'ing before whereas they are QT'ing after.. so there wasn't as much info on preventative QT. Could you tell me generally what am I looking for and do I need to do anything if the fish appers healthy for the duration of the QT. Thanks!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
kadella, you are definitely starting off on the right foot in this hobby! Yes, 3 wks in a QT is a good measure, however, since you are a new hobbyists and just learning, I would make that 4 wks. Once you get used to observing fish, and noticing things that may be a problem, then the 3 wk standard is a good one to go by.
Get a magnifying glass so that you can give your fish a thorough review each day. Of course, you realize that a 10 gal tank will only hold smaller fish. You can always purchase juvenile fish, though, who will grow up in your display.
With your current Qt, what I would like to see you do is actually feed your rubble rock that you have for at least a wk, 1x a day. This will actually encourage a stronger cycle and a larger biofilter. Take your time. Patience pays in this hobby.
You have just made this hobby so much easier on yourself by choosing to set up a QT from the get-go.

kadella

Beth, thanks so much! I have studied for so long before I even bought a tank to make sure (hopefully) I never have a casualty. I will start ghost feeding my QT tomorrow as I don't even have any food at this point yet. I take it just a marine flake would be fine? I am somwhat nervous about the QT as the new fish, juveniles of course will go in there first and I have a lot more room for error in a 10 gal then in my DT of 55. I should be ok and keep up with checking levels every day. It seems most people have problems with QT when they weren't initially cycled. So you would recommend just observing-not doing hypo from the start? Thanks!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
kad, I think you will do fine. You are already ahead of the game compared to most new hobbyists. Just don't rush, and stay on the forums for info and asking questions. Nothing is more important than patience for a new hobbyist.
Don't add flake. Get some frozen cube food from your LFS and add a 1/2 cube a day. Flake food is high in phosphates and nitrates...not something you want to add to your tank.
LR will not live without feeding. Do you have LR in your display? If so, you need to feed it as well.

kadella

Great, thanks Beth, I did not know that - I don't remember reading much about that in the boards. Yes, I have 50-60 lbs of LR in my DT, I will start feeding asap! I had no idea they needed food! Thanks for the info! :joy:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Anything that is "live" needs food. The rock itself does not need food, but the "life" on the rock does. Many micro-organisms come in on LR, which is why it is called live rock. These animals must be fed.

kadella

Ok, I am totally new to this - sorry Beth - I haven't even approached looking at fish or food yet... I went to LFS today - & bought marine frozen carnivore cubes.. I also bought some ocean nutrition garlic herbivore pellets for any future fish I may get. Or should I have gotten herbivore cubes for the LR? I've just begun researching different sorts of fish & types of food available. I think in the long run I plan to make/mix the food myself in the long run, sounds like thats the way to go! The less processing the better, right?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
All of the above is a good idea.
I always liked to make my own food mix and have it as my primary food, but I also had various frozens foods on hand for variety as well as for someone else's ease when I was away and not able to feed the fish.