cost for refugium filteration???

gdleader

I've really been thinking about going with a refugium filteration on my 72 gallon rather than a wet/dry sump alone. I was wondering if I were to make my own (I have been reading a lot of posts and looking at designs so I got the idea) how much would it cost (est.) just about with everything. skimmer, pumps, glass and stuff? I have found a place on ---- where they sell a 75 Aquarium Gallon Capacity Sump Refugium with All Accesories- Skimmer, lights, bioballs, bulkhead, and return pump and skimmer pump and overflow (Prefilter).
-2 X 13 watt Power compact light included with grow lights 1- 10k sunbright, and 1- actinic 420nm blue bulbs is included.
-Dimensions are 20''(Length) X 8''(Width) X 12''(height))
Refugiums Capacity is 15 gallons and 635 gallons per hour.
-Sump itself has a lifetime warranty against factory defects.
Overflow Turn Key Ready to be rigged to your tank
All that for $255. Think it would be less $ if I build my own?

sign guy

much less pluss thats not evan a good fuge from what I see. what all equipment do you have now?

joncat24

the skimmers in those egay setups are not worth the powder it would take to blow it up. Make your own..it is easy and you can get all the help you need right here. Just list your tank size and flow/overflow design and someone will help ya out. Then you can use the saved $$$ for a good skimmer and some more fishes

gdleader

ahhh so it seems that it would turn out cheaper....well I have a friend who works at ***** and I can get just about some of the stuff 25% off...I called him few minutes ago and he said he's got a 20 gallon and a 29 gallon rectangle tanks (which one would be good for my 72 gallon bowfront?)....and a skimmer for upto 100 gallons SeaClone Protein Skimmer i think it was...he has that on his own tank...and it does a very good job...but I'm sorta new so I don't know what's good and what's bad. And renogaw, I have been looking at your design and I did reply to it about where things should go ^_^ it looks like a simple design and I think I will go with that if that's alright with you and if it works well. keep me updated of how it goes!

sign guy

a sea clone is a poor skimmer for the most part, woeks ok till you put another brand next to it. I recamend the coralife super skimmer whith the 29 gallon sump. pluss mag drive pumps and cpr overflow box

gdleader

First, I looked at my stand I doubt I'd be able to fit the 29 gallon under it, but the 20 gallon will fit. Would this be good enough or no? And would a 65 gallon Coralife Super Skimmer due or do I need the 125 gallon? As for pumps...Right now I have a CA 2200 which is a 850gph in sump pump think that would be alright? Which GPH rated CPR Overflow box would work for this set up?
PS: I will look into a 29 gallon again sometimes this week to see if it fits, maybe I'll buy it and try it on to see. who know's might get lucky ^_^

joncat24

do not get a sea clone...
the ca 2200 is a flow pump and not pressure rated, I dont know if it would be enuf for a return pump or not. try it and then replace it with a mag 7 if it doesnt work out.
I would get the ss125 instead of the 65 for the tank and sump.