costia in marine fish/not just a fw paresite

unleashed

I have been doing alot of research on marine fish deseases and paresites since the death of my clownfish 2 days ago and have found many variables to unknown or unidentified deaths or illnesses here on the forum.not finding the answers i was seeking from many of the well known sites I was always lead back to the more popular diagnosis is it ich velvet bacterial fungal what could it be .after careful wording and clicking on useless sites for fw varieties i decided to do a search on some fw known diseases to marine fish this is one that was highly compairable to the symtoms i noted in my fish.and compaired photos of the fw species(gold fish) with this particular paresite so here we can add nother to our list of culprates for many unanswered infestations. below are photos of my clown post mortum in the water these spots were not as promanent she looked more hazed in coloration. giving an almost camoflauged appearance. i have found through this study many varieties of paresites excist as a threat in our aquariums.when combating one particular strand we could missing many others that go unoticed until new symptoms accure.these paresites just do go away on their own but they do go undetected until its too late and most are uneffected by salinaty changes.I will never again add a new fish to my tanks without properly erraticating any hidden threats after what i have read thus far.
North Carolina Sea Grant researchers have found that costia — an important parasite in many freshwater and marine fish — actually consists of many species.
Costia or Icthyobodo necator — which attacks a fish’s skin and gills — is often fatal and causes significant aquaculture losses across the world.
“This study is important because different species appear to have multiple hosts and has implications for the aquaculture industry,” says Heather Callahan, former graduate student at the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine. “If different species of fish are kept in the same facility, they may be able share infections.”
Ed Noga of the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine, and R.W. Litaker of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Ocean Service, Beaufort, also collaborated on the study.
The work was published in the February issue of Journal of Fish Diseases.
This study confirms earlier work by J.A. Todal from Norway and other Norwegian, South African and Japanese researchers who found more than one species of costia.
During the Sea Grant study, the same species was obtained from both marine and freshwater fish, further suggesting that certain Icththyobodo species may not be limited by salinity.
The researchers also demonstrated that DNA sequence differences between costia species can be used consistently for identification.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Did he have those spots before death? Are those spots discolorations? Or seemingly something on the body?

unleashed

these spots were present before death. when the fish was in the water they looked more hazed and mottled as if to be on the surface of the scales .my fish looked simular to mads fish before death. hazy apearance simular to velvet but the spots throw it off and no where in any fish disease related sites or books or marine fish have I found anything simular in aprearance until i looked into fw photos

beth

Administrator
Staff member
But veltvet does not really look like that. I wish I could find a picture of velvet, though that disease seems to be seen less and less in the hobby. For the most part, velvet is a gill disease where the parasite embeds in the gills. Thus you see rapid gilling. At this point, the fish's time is limited with mortality likely within a few hours. Sometimes the parasite will burrow in the flesh causing the fish to produce mucous...which is the dusty or powdery looking film described in most literature. I actually hate that description that is commonly used to describe velvet because it leads hobbyists to think that the powder or dust is the parasite [like in ich], when, in fact, it is not at all. Amyloodinium dinospores can not be seen with the

[hr]
eye. It can only been seen under the microscope.
I'm assuming that your pH is fine? Any water quality issues at all? Are those spots dimensional or is it faded flesh? Do you does your display with any meds or supplements?

unleashed

this thread isnt meant to describe velvet it is to open the awareness of other marine paresites not commonly listed as such.these photos are not normal symptoms of ich nor velvet in fact none pertaining to most information photos available to marine hobbiest as a compairative guide to assist in identification of well known diseases.to what this is a cause of i am still not sure it was not ich i do not beleive to be velvet nor any of the well listed disease or paresitic infestations that are commonly diagnosed or misdiagnosed and mis treated.there are any varieties of paresites known to scientist .and most cannot be treated with hypo and some types of copper treatents .and signs do now aprear until its too late to cure. much like brooknylla(accually a paresite) not an infection. I have found many sites with photos of various desease and paresites but due to forum rules sharing of such information is not allowed .others will have to search through hundreds of sites such as i did to find them.

sato

A magnificent resource for fish diseases is Fish Diseases and Diagnosis by Noga. Its a little pricey $80-120 depending on where you get it from but it is totally worth it.
This is also one of the books we use down at the Oklahoma Aquarium for a disease/parasite reference.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, it is a very good reference. Not too many hobbyists are willing to shell out the bucks for it, though.