COTW: Clams!!!

jes281

thats all you got
show me something!!!!!
jk
ryebread that is some of the best pic ive ever seen....
nice work!!!!

ryebread

Here are a couple of older shots that I think are interesting:
Byssal threads that attach it to a rock......

The "foot" searching around.......

the claw

I just upgraded my lighting for the sole purpose of being able to "properly keep" clams. The saliva is flowing looking at these shots.

tiffster

I read a while back (on this board) that clams are not effected by near by corals. I.e. they are not stung by lets say, zoanthids that are next to them. Is this true? My clam is next to some of those yellow polyps that multiple like bunnies. I want to move it if it is going to be damaged.
Thanks,
tiff

spsfreak100

Originally posted by RyeBread
Good job Graham!

Thanks, Ryebread! Your clam photo's are really amazing! Great work!
coralcollector,
Nice 11 pack! :)
tiffster,
I've heard a few stories about how some corals in the Euphyllia group bothering the clams mantel. The nemocysts were stinging the mantel causing it to retract. I haven't had any personal experience to back that up though. I haven't heard any clam benig bothered by soft corals or SPS corals though.
Take Care,
Graham

tiffster

thanks guys, he's not retracting so I'll leave him and if I notice a change in behavior I will move em.

Oh man........ there is a river of drool running through the house!:rolleyes: :D
I there a limit on how many clams you can have in a.......75-125?
I think I might go bonkers!:eek: ;)
Nadia

nm reef

I keep a large assortment of snails and crabs...none have bothered my T. squamosa. My understanding is that they will not pose problems for healthy clams...but if the clam declines then they'll will quickly munch it.

the claw

I just found a beautiful 7" teardrop maxima for sale for 250 "clams" is that good. It doesn't specify where it came from, but does have arrive alive guarantee.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by The Claw
I just found a beautiful 7" teardrop maxima for sale for 250 "clams" is that good. It doesn't specify where it came from, but does have arrive alive guarantee.

Even though $250.00 may be a good deal for the Tear Drop, it sounds too risky, in my opinion. I would make sure you know exactly where it came from before you buy it. Even though it may arrive alive, will it continue to be alive during the next couple of months of being in your tank?
Take Care,
Graham

the claw

Hey Graham, what makes the teardrop harder to keep. Does it have special requirements, or just a bad reputation due to collection techniques? Also, what is the lifespan after the bysall has been damaged, meaning is it rapid or slow death.

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
Great Thread!
Ive just come back from diving in the Maldives on the atolls there, and I saw a 2 foot square clam! Sadly not quite as colourful as the ones above!
Just one question, anyone had any luck keeping these with T5's?
Thanks,
Tim.