COTW: Clams!!!

spsfreak100

Hey Graham, what makes the teardrop harder to keep. Does it have special requirements, or just a bad reputation due to collection techniques? Also, what is the lifespan after the bysall has been damaged, meaning is it rapid or slow death
It's usually the way that the clams are collected that makes them difficult to keep, although many factors could play a role in the clams overall healthy. The lifespan after the byssal gland has been damaged is usually within the first few weeks, but, some clams may die after a month or two without the byssal gland. Most Tear Drop clams with a damaged byssal gland are sold without being attached to anything and will not attach to anything in the aquarium.
I attached a picture of my Crocea without flash. I really enjoy the yellow markings through the mantel, it really gives it a nice look.
Take Care,
Graham

the claw

That Crocea is cool. Thanks for the input. The affermentioned clam was unattached. I asked them about there source of origin, and they never responded. Will keep looking I guess.

nm reef

I don't know how true it is but I've heard that many tear drops are torn from their nataive locations resulting in damage ... after that they'll not attach and eventually die. The key is to purchase specimans that have been harvested still attached(sometimes they will break away the rock that the clam is attached to)...maybe somebody with more info can clear that up. Thats what I've heard though...:cool:
I knew this thread would generate some excellant pics...but there has to be more clams out there....;)

the claw

When I get mine in about two weeks, I'll post a shot or two. I wanted so much to get some this week, but decided to be patient, until I'm back from hunting season.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Zack Schwartz
Nice pic sps frak where you learn all this info about the tear drop clams???:D

lol, Zack. Besides you, Lebowski's threads (all 21 of them :D) at another place had links to articles of information about the teardrop Maxima.
Take Care,
Graham

dzones

Awesome pics people.
I have been wanting to get a clam and was wodnring if putting him on a piece of lefge rock about 10-12 inches from the surface would be ok. I notice almost all of the pics have the clam on the bottom.
I would have a 175W MH ushio 10K and 2-55w 10k actinics directly above him.
does this sound ok?
Thanks
Dave
UPDATE:
Ok I just read a bunch of posts below this one with the exact info I needed.
Thanks!

I know that the clams need a good stable calcium and alkalinity level, but what do they eat? This may be a stupid question and it may have been told above, but I was too busy drooling over all the pics!!! I am wanting to put one in my reef in about 6-8 months. Do they need to be handfed something, or do they live off the calcium, etc...in the water?
Great Pics guys!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
~Coral Collector~You have got some awesome pics!!!
Same to you Ryebread!!!
I can't wait til I can take pics of mine one day!!!

spsfreak100

Originally posted by TangPrincess
I know that the clams need a good stable calcium and alkalinity level, but what do they eat? This may be a stupid question and it may have been told above, but I was too busy drooling over all the pics!!! I am wanting to put one in my reef in about 6-8 months. Do they need to be handfed something, or do they live off the calcium, etc...in the water?

Calcium doesn't act as a food source, but rather a growth source. Phosphate can often stunt the calcification process leading to "deformed" or "Stunted" growth patterns.
I stated above what clams need to be fed. I copied and pasted what I wrote:
Before you read on, it's important to know that smaller clams depend on regular feedings of phytoplankton. You should get a lot of phytoplankton in the water column, instead of target feeding the clam. The clams gills can easily get clogged if they are aggressively target fed. The larger they get, the less they depend on phytoplankton for their nutrients. At around 3," the clams diet usually consists of mostly the zooxanthellae within its tissues, although phytoplankton is still part of the diet.
Take Care,
Graham :)

saltynewbie

super cool pictures everyone.. i cant wait until i can keep clams!!! soon i hope! i will be looking to all of you vets to give me advice!!

nm reef

Did somebody say they thought clams would make a good COTW?
This was back in the depths of the past threads...but its still a very good read.
I appreciate the effort to revive the COTW series...and in the near future I hope to start a new concept...same sort of idea but in a slightly different format.
...and by the way...we did all the COTW threads with the same basic title....
"COTW: name of topic"
that way if you'd like to check past COTW threads just use the search feature...type in COTW and search the reef forum...there are several COTW threads back there somewhere.:happyfish