COTW: Dendronephtya AKA Carnation coral

michaeltx

Dendronephthya is possibly the most beautiful coral on the reefs they are also known as carnation coral, cauliflower coral, or colored tree coral. There are over 100 species of this coral and are found on deep water ledges and overhangs and/or in caves. This coral comes in a wide array of colors red, orange, purple, and/or pink. The coral is collected from indo-pacific area including Fiji, Tonga, Solomon Island, and the great barrier reef. They are a predatory coral which means that they do not rely on any light for survival.
This coral is a very demanding coral needing specific foods such as phyto-plankton, zooplankton and rotofiers. The need a lot of food that is in a steady stream as well. they require a very clean and stabile system any fluctuations in water chemistry can cause this coral to die off. They require a steady SG of 1.023 to 1.025, and a steady PH of around 8.1 and temperature between 74 and 78 degrees. They will not tolerate any hair algae , it releases a chemical that can kill the coral. When threatened this coral can virtually disappear expelling all the fluid within the coral. and retracting itself so small that its predators will pass it by.
This coral is very difficult coral to keep alive. with the feeding requirements and food size that they need our tanks just cant keep enough food in the water column for them to feed off of. Most of them last only a few weeks to a few months before they start to starve to death.
The LFS's order these corals because the know their beauty will sell them no matter what the survival rate is. Most online stores will not guarantee this coral to arrive alive or to stay alive, they suggest only very experienced reek keepers to attempt this coral and then its still a gamble on wither or not the coral will live long term. In my Opinion and most other peoples opinion is to leave these beautiful corals in the ocean where they can not only survive but thrive. The ocean has enough food for them to live and as of this date there is nothing that can sustain them long term.
There are studies being conducted on these corals and other predatory corals along with the crinoid star. trying to find a way to feed them in our systems all of these feed off the same foods and sizes, they are hoping to find a way to feed them in the home tank so that other items like some sponges and tunicates can be successfully housed in our tanks. Until that time they are better off in the ocean.
Here are a few pictures that I have collected of the internet and for anyone wanting to know the posters owners of these photos just email me for the info. Mickadee@hotmail.com . These are examples of red, pink, and orange carnation corals.

spsfreak100

This coral is a very demanding coral needing specific foods such as phyto-plankton, zooplankton
and rotofiers.
Dendronephtya spp. is not carnivorous (Eric H. Borneman) and will not consume zooplankton. Phytoplankton is ideal for feeding.
The flow speeds for proper feeding are very specific and may not be easily achieved in tanks. If the flow is not accurate, the coral has no chance of survival.
It's best if people stay away from buying this coral, dispite its beautiful coloration.
By the way- The longest I've kept this coral was for 3 days.
Take Care,
Graham

michaeltx

everything I found on them said they that they at both of them.
Just shows how much is actually known about the coral and there are many different views on what it will and wont eat.
Thanks for the correction though.
Mike

nm reef

Very well put together COTW...thanks for expending the effort.
My knowledge on these specific corals is very limited...but most information I've seen strongly indicates that they are very difficult to keep...and based on that they should be avoided.
True they are extremely beautiful corals...its also true that they can be found from time to time at fairly low prices. But...they do not survive well in aquariums and extreme care should be taken before ever attemtping to keep one!

nmreef@cox.net

leboeuf

great insight Mike.
I see these corals at one of the LFS in the area. They look great when they first come in but turn to

[hr]
the following week. Makes sense now!

nm reef

Been seeing a lot of off color language recently...please keep in mind some folks take offense to such language...myself I've been known to swear like a sailor sinkin' with his ship(often for no reason)...but we have several ladies and lots of young folks on this forum on a regular basis...please refrain from foul language.:cool:

dattong

I'd kept a purple pink carnation before and it lived and had nice looking color and shape for only 6 months then started to die slowly.

chinnyr

I had never saw one of these until recently at the lfs.It was a bright red color,and the owner had added it to his reef setup.He had another that sold when it arrived.He did tell me how difficult they are to keep and that they are feeders too.I'm going to keep watch on it when I visit the store to see how it's doing.I wish I could find something as red as that coral was to add to my system!I won't ever add anything that won't have a chance.

reefnjeff

The carnation coral has always by far been my favorite coral, which has always left me thinking of sitting up a deep water tank to house them, but I guess I was not thinking, after reading your thread I have to agree, if we can not house them and keep them healthy and alive, then leave them were there at, in the sea. It makes me so :mad: when these beauitful animals, as with any animal are killed for profit.
So I guess in tell someone comes up with a method of keeping them healthy and maybe we learn a way to propagate them, I will enjoy them through pictures.

jmesmcm

I have been wondering about these coralss myself. IF.......in a well established reef tank w/water quality that is optimal would a carnation work IF spot feed daily.......thanks