COTW:Scroll, cup, pagoda.....

wrassecal

vase, lettuce, octopus etc. This is a very interesting group of corals and honestly I'm not sure which one I have.
Turbinaria corals are common in the aquarium trade. They are photosynthetic and contain symbiotic algae, do best in medium to bright light and require brisk water movement to keep algae and detritus from building up. They should be kept on the rockwork and not in the sand (like I first placed mine) to allow for brisk water movement through/around the coral. Excellent water conditions (with a special mention for ph), placement and lighting make for success with this coral.
Turbinaria frondens is a newly popular coral. They are mosty green to brown in color.
Turbinaria mesenterina commonly known as pagoda, cup, and scroll are most popular in the trade.
Turbinaria patula are generally irregularly folded, upright, one-faced fronds. They generally have elliptical leaning over openings.
Turbinaria peltata commonly known as octopus, platter, saucer, turban and vase are a hardy species that can produce mucus to clean itself of detritus.
Turbinaria reniformis is known as yellow scroll or yellow lettuce. It is a hardy species.
The turbinaria corals are "cousins' to the tubastrea genus aka sun corals.
Feeding: Can thrive on foods manufactured through symbiotic algae but it's recommended to supplement with zooplanktonic foods a few times a month and during a time when polyps are open. Some open only at night but most will open at various times.
Disease: Must be swept clean of detritus, algae and mucus to aviod recession of tissue.
Reproduction: Easy to propogate by breaking off pieces of healthy specimens. Also known to release planula larvae in captivity.
The shape of the coral will often be determined by the water flow. Mine is truly the shape of a scroll and is a creamy to yellowish color. When I first got it, I thought it looked rather like a bland piece of stone, but as it started to adjust to the tank conditions and expand it's polyps I've really come to like this coral. As mentioned earlier I originally had mine in the bottom of the tank, a definate mistake. It developed a small area of tissue recession where it touched the sand. I have had it for about six months now and the top is curling over due to the current. It has grown about an inch in height in that time. I have found it to be a fairly easy coral but, I do use a turkey baster to clean it off every few days.
So which one do you have? Which one do you think mine is? I think it's a turbinaria patula, but I've been known to be wrong. Let's see some pics and hear your experiences with these corals.

jumpfrog

Good Job Debi! An excellent timing. I'm pondering one for my tank and have been doing some research.
Thanks!

nm reef

Well done COTW...thanks for the effort. Mine is a Turbinaria peltata ...at least I believe thats correct. Mine has been in my system for about 20 months now and seems to prefer moderate current and lighting. It is non-aggressive and doesn't respond well to direct feedings. But I do try to insure it gets a mild feedings with small food particles and DT's once in a while. Recently mine has suffered a small bit of damage from some neighboring yellow polyps...but hopefully the damaged area will recover. The polyps on mine are open nearly all the time but appear fully extended only at night. For the most part I'd saythis type coral is fairly low maintenance but a relatively slow grower....:cool:

sterling

And here is an example of "don't toss the coral if the polyps don't come out". This cup coral has not extended it's polyps for over a year and it IS still alive.

sterling

Here is example of "do not toss coral if polyps don't extend". This cup coral has not extended its polyps for over a year, and it IS still alive.

wrassecal

Salisbury - yours is really interesting and beautiful and you've kept it thriving for a long time:D It looks almost like it's growing from a stalk (might be the pic) and it's on the sandbed too! I love it.

grallster

Hey Sterling,
Your cup coral looks just like the Mycedium elephantotus on page 122 of Sprung's Corals--A Quick Reference Guide.

Originally posted by Wrassecal
Salisbury - yours is really interesting and beautiful and you've kept it thriving for a long time:D It looks almost like it's growing from a stalk (might be the pic) and it's on the sandbed too! I love it.

Ya....it is on a small pice of rock about the size of a golf ball, then it goes from a one inch wide stalk to almost 6 or 7 inch wide "mouth", opening. It looks like a martini glass. It never really fit anywear but the sand bed so that is where i have left it.
Adam

brooklyn johnny

Nice corals everyone. I have two Turbinaria species in my tank. Here in this side view you see to the left Turbinaria peltata (pagoda cup) and to the right Turbinaria frondens (yellow cup). Interestingly, accoding to Eric Borneman Turbinaria peltata is the only member of the genus that natuarally extends it's polyps during the day. In the picture you could see that mine has it's polyps extended, while the frondens has them retracted. He also mentions that in captivity it's very common that they change these habits, which I too have seen. I'll attach a pic of my frondens at night with his polyps extended, an awesome site! Both of these were purchased around October of last year, so it's almost a year I have them.
Awesome corals they are. Cup shaped acro species are becoming popular and entering the market more, like A. efflorescens and A. solitaryensis, but of course fetch a pretty penny. I call the pagoda my "Poor Man's efflo":D ... sort of like the Poor Man's Moorish Idol Heniochus butterflies.