could flat worms hitch a ride on fish and shrimp?

carlos413

so I went to my lfs and they had 3 different sets of goby pistol shrimp all ready paired up. the problem was the tanks had falt worms. i wanted them so bad... but didnt want to risk it. I always dip my corals, i was wondering if there is something i could do to make sure I could get them with out the flat worms. any suggestions?

geoj

First there is less chance a fast moving shrimp or fish will have a slow moving flatworm hitch a ride. Now for a snail, ya could happen. I would QT them after a flatworm exit dip.

btldreef

Highly unlikely.
If you're adding new fish, you should have a QT anyways, but it's very, very unlikely that they'd have flatworms. For what it's worth, my LFS had a bad AEFW issue a few years ago, bought a fish out of that tank and had no issues.

carlos413

Thanks guys I am going to make a trip to the store next week. Wile I drip acclimate them I will add some flatworm exit to the container I use for acclimateing my live stock. I dont have a qt.

cranberry

Please don't treat your fish with FWE, that's really unneccesary. There's a thousand other critters in that tank you can't see that would give you more problems... like Ich, trematodes, stuff like that.

carlos413

Please don't treat your fish with FWE, that's really unneccesary. There's a thousand other critters in that tank you can't see that would give you more problems... like Ich, trematodes, stuff like that.
I am not going to dose my Dt. just a small 4 gallon container I use for drip acclimate my live stock. What should I be concerned with?

btldreef

IMO, Flatworm exit does more harm than good. If you can't QT these critters, observe them while you drip acclimate, you'll be able to see the flatworms while there in the acclimation bucket.