Could I be overskimming?

fmelindy

Well, not yet anyway. I am moving from a 55 to a 125 gallon tank and I just recently purchased a Kent Marine Nautilus EX 24" model as the primary protein skimmer. The skimmer is rated for 400 gallons (I think) but based on what I've read on this (and other) message boards., it will probably be useful for tanks around half that size. If I put this skimmer on my tank will I be "overskimming" or is there such a thing anyway? My only skimmer experience so far is with a hang on red sea berlin model that totallly sucks. I want much more aggressive skimming for my upgrade.

golfish

Originally Posted by fmelindy
The skimmer is rated for 400 gallons (I think) but based on what I've read on this (and other) message boards., it will probably be useful for tanks around half that size.
IMO, these are ok low end skimmer, If anything you'll be under skimming.

sw65galma

You can't Overskim..the only thing you can do is have to much flow in your tank...
Basically if there is nothing in the water, you won't get anything in the cup...but it won't hurt the system to over skim...

golfish

Originally Posted by fmelindy
really? The skimmer is rated for 400 gallons! You think I'll be UNDERskimming??? :confused:

I think Kent, like most manufactures over rate their product. You should be fine with that skimmer. ...There's just no such thing as over skimming.