Could I get away with this?

markw

Hey everyone. I used to frequent these parts quite often, but have taken a bit of time off and got diverted in to poison dart frogs for quite a while. Well, a few years and multiple dozens of frogs later (babies, not different sets. lol), I just don't really feel too emotionally involved in it any longer. So, I'm back here. With one more attempt.
So, I'd really like to use one of the tanks I already have to start off this journey. This is what I have at my disposal:
20g long
29g
15g
46g bow
None of the tanks are drilled, so no option for a sump. That's where my reluctancy comes from. I don't really want to risk a hang-on overflow..well..overflow issue. I would have preferred a refugium to a filter, but it looks like I'm going to have to go the filter route.
So, my question to you is if you think it would be feasible to maintain a reef with zoas, shrooms, softies, sponges, etc in the 46g with a filter, and no sump or fuge? I don't plan on having anything microfauna-intensive like mandarins or anything of the sort. Just "simple" fish, per se.
Once this is figured out, I'll start sketching out equipment/inhabitant lists and move on from there. :)
Thanks alot!
Mark

snakeblitz33

Look into Glass Holes overflows. It's much easier drilling glass than you think. Only tool needed besides the kit is a battery powered drill...
It's very possible to keep such a tank like that with small weekly water changes. It would be better though if you could install an overflow box and use one of your other tanks for the sump.
Do it right the first time and the rewards will be great.

markw

Upon second thought, I agree. I really wish the 46 didn't have tempered glass, and I could drill that with the 20L as the sump/fuge. Should the tanks say whether they're tempered on the bottom or not? I know my 46g does, but I haven't checked the 29.
Thanks,
Mark

snakeblitz33

a 46g might have tempered bottom, but that wouldn't matter with a glass holes overflow since the hole is drilled in the side of the tank. Check with the manufacturer to make absolutely sure.

markw

Oh, I didn't notice Glass Holes was a brand name. That's definitely great to know! Thanks alot for that! Looks like the 46 just may work out after all. I'll look a little more into it, and report back with further plans. In the mean time, if anyone would like to make suggestions for anything, I'd be more than happy to hear them. :)
Mark

snakeblitz33

Look for a decent skimmer right off the bat and get a brs dual reactor and run phosban and carbon in it. Can't go wrong. Have a small fuge would also be a good thing.
Research. Research. Research.
Decide what you would like to keep and then figure out the lighting for it.
Patience.