could i keep a mandarin fish in 29 gallon

viper_930

Originally posted by SWNewb
I am very interested in having one of these guys in my 65g tank when the time is right. Just wondering though, are live pods available to use to jump start a breeding colony?

Yes, but not many places sell them.

There is a site I can e-mail to you that has What you may want IF you want to have a manderine... YOu can e-mail me for the site.. they have TONS of cool stuff.. here is what is said about one product... (can I post this)?
[Edit: No, I think it is a bit too much and disrespectful to SWF :)]

slappy

yea ive been dyeing to get one myself but i only have a 30gal with about 40-50 pounds of lr. i dont think my tank could support one but it drives me crazy that when i go to my lfs they have a 18 gal set up next to the cash register and the same manderin has been in there for well over a year. think this might be one of those things that sometimes you get lucky, but i dont think its right to give the fish a 50/50 chance at a death sentence. its gotta suck to starve to death:confused: just my 2cents

J

jbk65

Psychedelics usually will take mysis shrimp and do well that way. Again as posted earlier ask to see them feed the manderin. If it is taking food willingly then go for it.

PS... Board moderators and members...
I have NEVER posted anything against the rules so I APOLOGIZE for the post up there.....
I really felt bad and upset that the reply read...
"[Edit: No, I think it is a bit too much and disrespectful to SWF ]
I agree it was a lot of info, BUT in no way was it meant to be DISRESPECTFUL! I have been a member here for a while and love this site so, I apologize..

As I cut and pasted, I didnt realize it was so long.. copied too much of it. & couldnt edit it after it was posted.. wanted to leave just a tidbit..oops, sorry
Kim
Will be more carful from now on....:nervous: :nervous:

promisetbg

I found a very interesting article this morning about making a "feeding station" for mandarins out of a small jar.IE; olive type or similar.Mandarins are slow moving fish..often outcompeted for food by swifter fish,such as a sixline wrasse.I am going to try this..even though my mandarins look healthy,plump,and I have a refugium.I have noticed that my two skunk cleaners have figured out that if they hang by the inlet from the refugium at night,they can capture the bounty of "pods" that happen to come through.This feeding jar may just be what I need to sleep better at night,knowing my beautiful pair of mandarins are just a little bit fatter:)

ophiura

Originally posted by KimKissyFish
PS... Board moderators and members...
I have NEVER posted anything against the rules so I APOLOGIZE for the post up there.....
I really felt bad and upset that the reply read...
"[Edit: No, I think it is a bit too much and disrespectful to SWF ]
I agree it was a lot of info, BUT in no way was it meant to be DISRESPECTFUL! I have been a member here for a while and love this site so, I apologize..

As I cut and pasted, I didnt realize it was so long.. copied too much of it. & couldnt edit it after it was posted.. wanted to leave just a tidbit..oops, sorry
Kim
Will be more carful from now on....:nervous: :nervous:

No worries, it was just a bit too much of an advert for another site. I think it crossed a line as being a bit too little info, and a bit too much hype advertisement. :) There is still a line that can be crossed in pasting from a product description from another site, even unintentionally. I know you've been around and have definitely contributed. I don't think there was any intention to do anything disrespectful, just turned out that way. :)

jeffro8332

i got tired of reading the argunment but i also have a 29 g and i have aroung 50# of LR and also HAVE HAD a green manderin. he lived happy for 3 months then died. i have a HOB refugium with a ton of pod life. but he still died. jmo.
j

nflnutswif

Conner, your replys are very thought-ful and intelligent! your decision will be the right one for you. It's kind of frustrating to determine the right answers with so many "absolute" responses! But that's why I stick around and absorb as much information as I can before making MY decisions! Some things work for some while others have an opposite experience.
Good luck I love my manderines

Ophuira,
Thanks, I just felt really bad... And your right, it was alot..
Darn post button, <~ will learn to review first. LOL
Feeling better now, thanks for return post.. =)
Kim