Could I use a hang in tank refugium as a coral QT?

sac10918

Hi everyone
I have a 24 gallon aquapod with Metal Halide lights that is home to two B&W saddlebacks, a few sexy shrimp, and a few corals. I haven't added anything to my tank in a really long time, and would like to add a few simple (i.e. easy corals). I refuse to add anything without quarantining it for 6 weeks, so I was thinking that maybe I could get a hang-in-tank refugium with no holes drilled in it (i.e keep the water in it separate from the water in my tank), but it could be partially submerged in my tank, thus being temperature regulated by the surrounding display water and also receiving lighting from my metal halide tank. That way, I could add a few small things at a time (like some mushrooms or zoas), do small partial water changes on the refugium, but it would be separated from my main display yet still temperature regulated and with quality light.
Do you think it would work? Any advice, and inputs would be appreciated.

flower

Originally Posted by sac10918
http:///forum/post/3073265
Hi everyone
I have a 24 gallon aquapod with Metal Halide lights that is home to two B&W saddlebacks, a few sexy shrimp, and a few corals. I haven't added anything to my tank in a really long time, and would like to add a few simple (i.e. easy corals). I refuse to add anything
without quarantining it for 6 weeks, so I was thinking that maybe I could get a hang-in-tank refugium with no holes drilled in it (i.e keep the water in it separate from the water in my tank), but it could be partially submerged in my tank, thus being temperature regulated by the surrounding display water and also receiving lighting from my metal halide tank. That way, I could add a few small things at a time (like some mushrooms or zoas), do small partial water changes on the refugium, but it would be separated from my main display yet still temperature regulated and with quality light.
Do you think it would work? Any advice, and inputs would be appreciated.
I am no expert, I don't know much about refugiums, but I would think a 24g doesn't leave much room if you submerge the refugium in it.

jackri

So there is no circulation or filtration... which means you could just cut the top off the bag and hang it over the side and get the same effect.
Personally this isn't something I would do.
I wouldn't be as concerned QT'ing corals as fish... but I would still really have to trust the source of where my corals came from.

sac10918

Yeah, I guess it would be similar to floating a bag in the tank, except a little bit more "permanent"....
I dont want to QT any fish or anything, just some mushrooms....

flower

Originally Posted by sac10918
http:///forum/post/3073355
Yeah, I guess it would be similar to floating a bag in the tank, except a little bit more "permanent"....
I dont want to QT any fish or anything, just some mushrooms....
I don't understand why you would want to QT mushrooms. There are dips to eliminate unwanted hitchhikers. They don't carry ich or anything like that.