could this be to much

drew2005

Originally Posted by teen
do those pendants need somthing else to work, or are they just plug and go. the plug in the picture looks like it needs somthing other than a regular outlet.
Probably need to be plugged into ballasts. Another advantage in the Sunpod fixture. Ballasts are internal. Dont have to worry about finding a place to mount the ballasts. If your going to go with pendants check out the Coralife ones.

teen

drew, the sunpod fixtures you told me about, will i be able to keep clams under them in the future?

drew2005

drew, the sunpod fixtures you told me about, will i be able to keep clams under them in the future?
That im not too sure about. Maybe someone else will chime in and help out.

teen

i heard at a depth of 24" most clams will do really good lighting wise with 2x250 watts of mh.

keith burn

im looking at mh lighting, its a 400 watt mh retro kit, this is what it looks like.
i was thinking two of these on a 55 gallon, 24" deep. would that be to much, do u think i should go with one of them?
U need 4.5 to 5.5 watts per gallon no more or you will melt soft corals and cook fish

teen

with 5.5 watts of metal halide per gallon, and either 10k,14k,or 20kbulbs, will i be able to keep sps, lps and certain type of clams?

lubeck

Watts per gallon, I was told is BOLOGNA, depth of tank and dimensions is the way to go. I have 9.4 watts if your going by that and my fish LOVE it and so do my corals.
I think there are a couple of moderators on this board that have more than 5.5 watts

lionfish1

hmm I have a Question I have a 20g with 2x150w MH. Is this too much, it's like 15w per gallon but my fish and everything seem to be doing fine.

oceana

Originally Posted by lionfish1
hmm I have a Question I have a 20g with 2x150w MH. Is this too much, it's like 15w per gallon but my fish and everything seem to be doing fine.

i'll say it like this. Its alot more then you need on a tank that size BUT its not going to hurt antyhing thats for sure. you just have to place your corals accordingly
using the WPG method we have 12

lionfish1

ok thanks. Yea I got this really to use for one side of my 130g tank(whenever I get to set that back up someday LOL), and didn't want to buy one i could only use on this tank.

teen

Originally Posted by lionfish1

could you tell me what brand of lighting that is . and also, is that a plastic support going across your tank?

lionfish1

It's a sunpod like you were looking at 36" 2x150w 14K HQI. I have glass tops and that's the plastic ben strip so you can lift the front.

keith burn

Originally Posted by keith burn
U need 4.5 to 5.5 watts per gallon no more or you will melt soft corals and cook fish
You can go to the top end 9.5 10.8.46.9.
Much more than 5.5 wpg is over kill.
Just for looks ok,
Yes the tank size is what you look at h/w/d.
But will it work better I thank not.
How munch money will you spend.
Eletricity in not cheep.
Thay are only good for a time you must replace it from time to time as well.