Could This Have Killed my Acro?

paintballer768

I got an acropora frag a little while back. When I got it, it had just began to encrust the base and it was brown. When I introduced it to the tank, within 2 weeks I noticed it starting to turn purple, which was very exciting. But then it started to slowly bleach and couldnt figure out why.
I went a period of 2 weeks after it finally bit the bucket, and before I started the change, I tested the water, and found out my alkalinity was way high. Last time I tested about a month ago (things were pretty stable in the tank for a period of time) it was around 3 meq/L. When I tested it before the change, it was 5 meq/L.
Could the acropora have started STNing because of that. I have a 150 watt MH over a 24 gallon, so I do not believe that lighting was an issue.

nietzsche

can you tell me what that is in dKH? i know that im having a hard time right now with kalkwasser, its raising alk too much. from what i understand, it can get pretty dangerous if start going more than 11 dKH, i dont know at what point theyll begin to STN, but i thought it was around 13 dKH. if it it was a quick change in alk, then it could have been the problem. in my case, alk is increasing slowly and is at 12 dKH

paintballer768

Odd thing is, my test kit actually measures in ppm, so I use the conversions on the back of the instruction manual to convert it to terms we use on here. The only one I can get it to its meq/L. From what I understand, safe ranges go from 2.8-4 meq/L, so getting a reading for 5 would definitely say something. Everything else in tne tank was fine, except the acro. My montipora continued to grow and show its average polyp extension.
I dont drip kalk either, just whenever the calcium get low, I drip SeaChem Reef Calcium for about 30 minutes very very slowly. Usually around a half capful over time. Then the next day I test alk/calc.

tankgeeks

also its important to make sure youre using good test kits.... ones that give a more precise measurement instead of those that give you results in "ranges". Certain test kits are known to be better for alk than others, as some people have lost lots of corals going off of certain test kits...in my opinion its always best to use a couple diff ones and cross reference the results. good luck!

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Tankgeeks
http:///forum/post/2638590
also its important to make sure youre using good test kits.... ones that give a more precise measurement instead of those that give you results in "ranges". Certain test kits are known to be better for alk than others, as some people have lost lots of corals going off of certain test kits...in my opinion its always best to use a couple diff ones and cross reference the results. good luck!
I use the Hagen brand. Its like count how many drips it takes to get to a different shade, then multiply it by this and that. My alk is sitting steady at 3 meq/L ever right now. I think Im going to see how consistent I can keep it for the next week or two and Ill be picking up an acro again to try out.