Could this sting GSP and what is it?

dcrawford

Can I get some help with an ID of this filter feeder and can it sting the encroaching green star polyp growth?

michaeltx

looks like an apitisia anemone and yes it can sting and kill just about everything and spread very quickly!!
Mike

dragonzim

That is an Aiptasia Anemone and is considered to be the bane of saltwater tanks. It can and will sting encroaching corals. You need to get rid of it ASAP since they can multiply pretty quickly. There are lots of methods to get rid of them, from getting animals that eat them such as Peppermint Shrimp and Copperband Butterflies to more direct methods like Joe's juice and boiling water injected into them. Do a search on the board here for them and you'll find tons of info. Personally, I use Joes Juice. Works great...

dcrawford

He has been 3.5 year hitch hiker and he is the only one like it in the tank. Could it be something other than aiptasia? Is Aiptasia different from an aiptasia Anenome?

michaeltx

if its been 3.5 years then it may be a qurley que anemone but still has the punch of the apistia's do.
Mike

dcrawford

Some of the other things it does is it stretch out of it's crevasse about 1.5 inches every so often, then recoils back to this position most of the time. It has never moved over the 3.5 years and has been this size for the last 2 years.

qbnfreek

kill, kill it now!!!!
if it spreads it will destory your tank by stinging all you coral and can even stress you fish leading into a complete and total disaster. - good luck!!!

michaeltx

I have to disagree if after 3 1/2 years it hasnt spread or moved its not an apistia anemone!!
probably a curly que or other simliar to it.
Mike

dcrawford

I'm agreeing with you Mike. It's been in tank for 4 years in Dec. with the original live rock. Right now the only thing it could be hurting is the green star polyp spreading too close to it. It may be the only thing that keeps GPS in check. :)
DC