couple of FOWLR questions on lighting, pump, etc.

reefer32

I am going for a 125-135 gallon long FOWLR setup...
wondering what kind of lower priced lighting you would recommend?
pc? t-5? moon lights would be nice too!
is there a certain watts per gallon to go by when doing a FOWLR?
also, can someone suggest a return pump and skimmer that will work/fit on a wet/dry? is a fuge needed too?
thanks in advance!

harris28

As far as lights go you dont need nothing special for a FOWLR. You can get by with cheap PC's. However if you think you might ever venture in to corals you might want to look into T-5 or MH. Otherwise PC will be fine for you. And you will not be concerned with a watt per gallon in a FOWLR and WPG is a junk rule anyway.

reefer32

how much should I expect to pay for pc lights w/moons?
also, should I do one 72" or two 36" fixtures?
thanks for the help!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by reefer32
http:///forum/post/2459208
I am going for a 125-135 gallon long FOWLR setup...
wondering what kind of lower priced lighting you would recommend?
pc? t-5? moon lights would be nice too!
is there a certain watts per gallon to go by when doing a FOWLR?
also, can someone suggest a return pump and skimmer that will work/fit on a wet/dry? is a fuge needed too?
thanks in advance!

You can just get whatever on lights, it all depends on what you want it to look like. I'd go with a t-5 setup, because of efficiency. I'd also like one fixture instead of two.
I'm a big fan of lifereef's overflows. I'd consider 2 600 gph if you have a wet-dry that can handle the flow, and get a giant mag drive pump for a return. Even better would be to externally plumb a sequence pump inline. I'm a fan of Iwaki pumps, and Pan world are a cheaper alternative.

matt b

Originally Posted by reefer32
http:///forum/post/2459356
do you think a T5 72" with 4x80 bulbs would be good enough?

that would be fine. you dont need any good for FOWLR. the only reason you would get a good light for FOWLR is for more color out of the light. so if you wanted you could just get one of those stock lights that you get at your lfs with the tank. but for a better look your going to want PC or T5