couple of questions

hi all, couple of questions for you
1. i see alot of people recomend 1/4 sheeting in the sump, why? what if you were just using it as a divider so that there was equal water presser on both sides?
2. whats the name of the fitting used in the bottom of a overflow box (bulk head connector)? i went to lowes today and was looking for it but i couldnt find a connector that would have a flange on it for the o ring.
3. on a tank thats leaking, would you replace just the seam thats leaking or remove them all and reseal all the seams?
4. found the egg crate at lowes, had about 1/2x1/2 holes, is there any out there with smaller holes? want to put fish (little like a fire goby)in sump and think a slim fish like that could get throgh the holes.
5. going to use the sheeting above to divide tank along with the egg crate and want to paint the sheeting black because the sump equipment will be in back of tank. what type of paint should i use? i bought some acrilic outdoor paint that says its toxic free from the hobby shop. but what kind do they use on fish decor?
thanks for the help

acrylic51

Hi!!!!!!

1. Are you referring to building a sump out of 1/4" material or just making baffles out of 1/4" material? For a sump build I'm not a fan of using 1/4" but can be done....As far as baffles is perfectly fine.
2. Your correct the fitting in the bottom of the overflow box is called a bulkhead.....The inside of the outside portion of the bulkhead can be either slip or threaded....I don't very seriously you'll find bulkheads at Lowes or Home Depot. You'd have better luck trying a plumbing specialty place.
3. I would reseal the entire tank, instead of trying to do just 1 seam.
5. Krylon Fushion Paint is perfectly safe....I've used it repeatedly, and so have alot of others.....I don't think it holds up well in certain areas, but, it is safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravismaximus http:///forum/thread/380890/couple-of-questions#post_3315795
1. i see alot of people recomend 1/4 sheeting in the sump, why? what if you were just using it as a divider so that there was equal water presser on both sides?
2. whats the name of the fitting used in the bottom of a overflow box (bulk head connector)? i went to lowes today and was looking for it but i couldnt find a connector that would have a flange on it for the o ring.
3. on a tank thats leaking, would you replace just the seam thats leaking or remove them all and reseal all the seams?
4. found the egg crate at lowes, had about 1/2x1/2 holes, is there any out there with smaller holes? want to put fish (little like a fire goby)in sump and think a slim fish like that could get throgh the holes.
5. going to use the sheeting above to divide tank along with the egg crate and want to paint the sheeting black because the sump equipment will be in back of tank. what type of paint should i use? i bought some acrilic outdoor paint that says its toxic free from the hobby shop. but what kind do they use on fish decor?
thanks for the help

scopus tang

Couple answers below in red
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravismaximus http:///forum/thread/380890/couple-of-questions#post_3315795
1/4" will stand up to the pressure created by flow - if your sump has a direction flow, the baffel will bow and eventually pull away from the side of the tank allowing it to leak. FYI, it is not generally recommended to use acrylic baffles in a glass tank - silicone does not bond well with both acrylic and glass, and they can eventually give out and start leaking.
I read somewhere that you can get something similiar in the conduit section at Home Depot or Lowes - I've never had any luck personally.
I've done both - for me, it would depend on the age of the tank and why it has started leaking.
you can cover the egg crate with the black or white fiberglass screen used for screen doors, however that does cut down on light penetration. They also make a larger diameter fiberglass mesh, but its not commonly available at home repair stores. I've seen it most frequently advertized on some other forums on the net - usually you have to buy a whole roll rather than just a small sheet, so those who buy a roll are typically trying to sell off what they have left.
thanks for the help
HTH

acrylic51

Nope wouldn't use anything thinner than 1/4", and you said about a divider on the back of the tank???! How long how wide?

acrylic51

The use of acrylic baffled is perfectly fine, and done all the time, and will withstand the rigors if cut, and install is done correctly!!!!!

scopus tang

Maybe yes, maybe no; we've done multiple sumps on multiple tank set-ups, with both acrylic and glass baffles - all were correctly cut and correctly installed. For every acrylic one that has stood up to the test of time over the years, we have another one that has failed. None of those done with glass baffles have ever failed. Not here to argue, simply stating from my own experience, that acrylic on glass can fail, even if its done correctly. Glass is no more expensive to have cut to the correct size than acrylic, so why risk it? Just my $.02 worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/380890/couple-of-questions#post_3315876
The use of acrylic baffled is perfectly fine, and done all the time, and will withstand the rigors if cut, and install is done correctly!!!!!