Couple questions for new tank

benjamin

I just had a few quick questions concerning my 125g tank.
First, do I wait until the cycle is over before I need to concern myself with a skimmer?
I have CC, is sand better and if so do I need to just start all over with the sand?
I have a wet/dry filter with a CA 4000 return pump. Is this sufficient flow? Also have a Rio 2500 and 1700 for powerheads.
I have about 20 pounds of base rock in the tank right now, just getting started :)
I have 6 damsels in the tank, cycling it. Is this enough to cycle the tank?
One more question concerning the skimmer. Does anyone have any experience with the Kent Nautilus TE? Is it any good? The add says it is sufficient for up to a 300g tank.
Thanks in advance for answers to any of the above.
BTW, I also have a FOWLR 29g tank that has some of the future inhabitants for the 125g.
My plans are to definately make the 29g a reef tank and possibly in the future the 125g into reef also.
Again, thanks for any answers or suggestions.
Benjamin

new

i just got my nautilus running about an hour ago and it seems to be doing fine, the adjustments are easy and seems to work well. no my disclaimer, i have never used any skimmers before so i have no real reference to compare to as i am new to this hobby as well. it is on a 75gl.

aileena

If I were you I would keep my crushed coral because as long as you have a good clean up crew the c.c. is very attractive, plus you already added it! Keep the power heads running too. I would wait two weeks for your tank to cycle, then add about 60pds of Live Rock. I would then take out the wet/dry filter put on the skimmer and wait another week. Check the water quality then add fish! The LR should be your filter any wet/dry filters simply produce nitrate by trapping crap in the filter and continually push water through it. I think LR is the best filter combined with a good protein skimmer. powerheads help move the water around. Good Luck