Couple quick questions?

maurice

I have been wanting a coco worm for awhile now but i know nothing about them,does anyone have one in their reef and if so what kind of care do they need?My lfs just called and told me he got a red one and a pink one so i was going to go look at them but need some info first.He also told me he had a blue spiny lobster in,they say they are reef safe on this site,does anyone know if this is true or will he kill my other inverts?Thanks for any help!

J

jdragunas

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=177157 <--- read this about the coco worms...
Panulirus vesicolor is known by many names using a combination of the adjectives, "blue", "spiny", and"painted"; for instance, Painted Spiny Lobster or Spiny Blue Lobster. The Blue Spiny Lobster or Painted Crayfish, has distinctive markings of azure blue stripes on its legs. The carapace is greenish-blue, and the dorsal surface is darker blue with a reticulated pattern. The tail fin is also blue. The abdominal segments have white bands and the antennae is very long. It lacks the large claws found on most other lobsters.
It is peaceful and multiple specimens may be kept in a large tank. It generally will not bother other inhabitants of the aquarium, except for sessile or other bottom dwelling animals. Live rock with multiple crevices and hiding places would provide a good environment. It may be shy when first introduced, but once acclimated, will be more visible.
It is capable of making a sound that is very similar to a cicada (locust). It may perform a dance-like maneuver, whipping its long, split white antennae as it moves about the tank.
It will eat most all types of meaty foods that are placed in the aquarium. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications. It is extremely difficult to breed in an aquarium.
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1' 2"
Color Form: Blue, Blue-Green, White
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Palinuridae

maurice

Thanks for the reply,great information also.I went ahead and bought them and have them acclimating now,i will post pics of them after i get them in the tank.Thanks again for the great info.

reefman22

do you go to barrier reef? i was in yesterday and they had a blue lobster. where abouts in FL are you located?
REEF

maurice

No i am up in the panhandle in pensacola.The blue spiny i got today is about 2 1/2-3 inches long and just a very beautiful color to it.I also bought a small potters angel.

J

jdragunas

where in the panhandle are you? I used to live in p'cola

J

jdragunas

oops, and btw, NICE lobster! He's so cute!!! I just may get one...

shoreliner11

IMO buying a Spiny blue lobster may not be the best idea. When you look at thier max size which is over a foot its hard to picture this. They may be called reef safe but lobsters are very opportunistic and make sure you keep up with feeding him. I've personally seen one that was close to a foot and had to be removed from a 240gal because it was too big for the tank. His body and antennae would stretch at least half way accross the tank. This guy had gotten very aggressive and for this reason it was removed. I think I may just be a little biased towards lobsters, but jmo. Good luck with him.
Aaron

maurice

Originally Posted by jdragunas
oops, and btw, NICE lobster! He's so cute!!! I just may get one...
I like him alot more than i thought i would,i figured he would stay hid most of the time,but not the case at all.He is all over the tank checking things out,i even hand fed him some shrimp already.
I will try to get a pic of my potters angel later when my lights come on,and my red coco worm.