covered or not covered??

marcs4020

The more i see pictures of other tanks that are posted I notice that most of the time they are not covered. I have been doing this now for a couple years and i have always had my tanks covered. i recently moved my 55 upstairs and have having a small issue with heat. i know that if i take the cover off it will let more air circulate over the top of the water therefore cooling it down. I was wondering if there is any problems that I will encounter with keepin my top off.
thanks
marcus

speg

Originally Posted by marcs4020
I was wondering if there is any problems that I will encounter with keepin my top off.

Not if you're female..........................................

snipe

The only problem is you have to topoff almost daily and fish can jump out. Other than that its worth it.

who dey

Originally Posted by airforceb2
Should be ok as long as you don't have a cat.
or an eel. mine jumped out a few years ago and my cat was playing with it on the floor

airforceb2

hahaha...depending on the size of the eel, it may have been playing with the cat. Who Dey...where abouts you from in Cincy? Wife is from Mason.

mudplayerx

I have metal halides and here is what I have encountered with using a canopy.
When the canopy was on, the temperature got close to being too high and there was the daily cleaning of the salt creep, but I was only topping off 1/2 gallon per day in my 55 gallon tank.
With the top off, my temperature stays a constant 80 degrees, there is no saltcreep to clean, but I am having to top off 1 gallon of water per day.

murph145

i took my top off when i got my new light set up also.... temp stays much more consistant than before.... however i now add 1 gallon of water also to my tank a day.... trade off is stable temp versus increased water top offs..... i think its better to have the top off
not to mention less cleaning off of the salt....