Cozumel Mexico Snorkeling

kilmca

Here are some pics from a memorial day weekend trip to cozumel mexico. Great snorkeling. These pictures were taken with the disposable underwater cameras and the quality is pretty bad.

N

nluchau

Awesome pictures. Bet you had fun. Do you snorkel on the surface or is it under water like scuba diving (dont mind me) I dont know much about any of them

R

red79

That's pretty cool. I would never do anything ike that though. I'm to afraid of sharks.

kilmca

red 79, i hope there are no sharks. from what i've been told and read this area doesn't have alot of sharks. the only thing that scared me a little was a 6 foot baracuda but it didn't want anything to do with us. i tried following it a little but the baracuda was alot faster than me, ofcourse.
nluchau, yeah it was snorkeling on the surface but you hold your breath and you can dive down and take pictures like i did. the longer you snorkel the better you get at holding your breath. i can probably dive down 15 to 20 feet deep and hold my breath for 30 to 45 seconds. it's just tough trying to not waste all your energy trying to get that deep. a couple of times i would go real deep and i would look up and see all the water above me and it would be a little scary but i knew i was going to surface eventually.
it was a great trip. actaully it was our second time there cause we like it so much. snorkeling is great and it doesn't cost anything. just have to get there.

N

nluchau

kilmca,
Thanks for the reply. What resort did you stay at in cozumel? My wife and I are trying to plan a vacation and thinking either Hawaii or Mexico somewheres. Were you snorkeling right off of the beach or did they have to bring you somewhere?
Thanks,
Nick

kilmca

Last time we stayed at Fiesta Americana and this year we stayed at the Reef Club Dive Resort. In my opinion the Fiesta Americana was a much nicer stay in terms of everything. The snorkeling right from the beach of Fiesta Americana is much better than the Reef Club. Just about a mile or so up the road toward town from Fiesta Americana there is a pier that you can go snorkeling. I would just get in the water right below the international pier where the cruise ships dock and float down to the hotel. It's pretty far but if your a good swimmer it's worth it.
You'll see alot of snorkeling boats dropping people off to snorkel in the area right above hotel fiesta americana.
The only difference in the two places is that fiesta americana was more money but only about $200 for a 4 night stay. I believe totally worth the additional money. we did the all inclusive program at both places cause my wife and i just like to snorkel and hangout at the hotel. we don't want to go to town and all that stuff. hope that helps.

jeremyglen

My family has a trip booked for 7/18-7/22. I cannot wait to go snorkeling and scuba diving. Cozumel is supposed to be one of the best places in the world, second to the south pacific. I'm going to be snorkeling off the shore and I want to pay to go to some remote spots off the southern tip of the island. I also want to dive a couple of spots. It will be my first trip to cozumel and I am very excited. After going to Destin, FL, I am really excited to go see what I can find. I like your pics and hope to be able to come back with some neat ones as well.
Did the camera you used have a flash on it or not? I know you can get disposables with flashes and without. My pics from FL weren't all that great without the flash.
We are staying on the north end of the island at the Coral Princess. I have read that the snorkeling there is great if you can master the currents. 3-5mph currents can carry you off in a hurry.

kilmca

JeremyGlen,
no my camera didn't have a flash. it would have helped. 3-5mph currents are strong currents. i never got to the north end of the island. my wife and i took a snorkeling trip on a boat and we went to 3 different reefs at the south end of the island and it was amazing snorkeling at those reefs. we went to columbia and planacar(sp) and i can't remember the other one. but the trip was worth it, i think we'll be going back. We plan on taking the scuba diving class and then finishing up the class with diving down in Cozumel.

monalisa

kilmca,
We just put down payment on airline tickets for Cozumel, but not until March. Definitely a diving trip. We're planning on doing minimally 3 dives/day...can't wait.
Also, Plasa Las Glorias right in San Miguel has a really great snorkeling area, open to anyone right behind the hotel. Before we were divers, we did some night snorkeling there, and you would NOT believe the wildlife that came out...really awesome. Octopus, squid, stars, flounders, etc., etc.
We love Cozumel, this will be our 4th trip there, and every time is different, but always great.
Lisa :happyfish

jal1639

Cozumel was AMAZING 10 years ago. We went in 95' and 96'. There were very few people there and they only had one pier for ships. When you surfaced from a dive you would be hard pressed to see another boat on the horizon. IF, you go at the right time, now, it is similar BUT they ripped up one of the nicer reefs to put in a second pier and if you dive, you must inflate a safety sausage before surfacing because of the boat traffic.
My opinion, go to Curacao or Turks and Caicos. Great diving and fewer people. T&C is also on the whale migration path!!
Have fun!!
:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish