CPR backpak help

buzzword

My wifes CPR backpak RR has worked well for about 4 months, now the last month or two I can not get it to make enough bubbles and or not have the water level high enough for the skim to form. What can I do to make it work again? I have taken it apart twice and it will work for a week or two then back to this problem.
I had read about people putting an airstone in but can't figure out how to do that. The skimmer is about 6 months old. Has the Rio PH on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wangotango

is the impeller dirty, or the intake plugged with something? are the air tubes tight? i have the CPR sr2 and it sounds like it was doing the same thing as yours.

divetroop

Have you taken the tubing off and flushed it hot water? Have you adjusted the black air nozzle? Sometimes salt creep gets into the airline tubing.

pallan

as to adding an airstone. i added a air pump and ran the tubing strait down the collection cup hole. right to the bottom. i then placed the colection cup back on. it crimps it some but not enough to restrict airflow. i used a coralife limwood air stone made for skimmers.
as to you problem. clean the pump real well including the little plastic L shaped pieces that attatch the pump to the airline. salt gets stuck in there. use a clean drill bit to get the salt out. (warning. do not run it strait through the plastic back, just use it enough to scrape the sides and punch a hole through the salt. a good drill bit will go right thru it without much force. I know)
also replace air tubes
the pump should not be worn out yet but as a last resort replace the pump with a new rio or even upgrade to the maxijet that is also designed for it.
hope this helps

buzzword

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will put them to use in the AM. And I looked and it is a Maxijet pump.