CPR Bak-Pak 2r

cliffrouse11bas

I am ordering my new skimmer today. From all the advice that I have gotten from up here I am going with the Bak-Pak 2r, which I am catching on sale for 109.99. Is this a good deal. Do I need the pre-skimmer or the bubble catcher attachment???

It is a good deal. I would get the pre-skimmer. I just got the bakpak 2r and I wish I would have gotten the pre-skimmer also. It will help get the surface of the water, and hide the powerhead.

saltyrich

Great choice. I would get the preskimmer/bubble trap combo. At first. mine never produced bubbles. After it broke in, it produced bubbles after I placed any additive into the tank for a very short period of time. The combo box works great. Many skimmers produce bubbles all the time. The Bak Pak does not, but the pre-skimmer/trap will eliminate it all. I understand that many skimmers produce micro-bubbles after placing any additive into the tank.

litdawg79

Hey, saltyrich - just set up my 80 gal SW. and am wondering about my CPR bak-pak. Its not working.
and the preskimmer your talking about. Is it the box in the tank, with the pump????:confused:
I have the pump plugged in but my bak-pak isn't working. Do you have any Ideas????:(

S

simm

Originally posted by LitDawg79
Hey, saltyrich - just set up my 80 gal SW. and am wondering about my CPR bak-pak. Its not working.

Not working as in no power or not skimming or no bubbles in the collection cup area? Iv got the bakpak 2r

saltyrich

I'm much like simm. Please clarify your question. As far as the box goes, the combo preskimmer/bubble trap fits around both the pump and the water return elbow. You'll need to turn the lower elbow fitting towards the side instead of having it point strait out. You also need to make sure that the airlines are properly connected. If they are reversed where they connect to the pump, it won't work right. Also, it may need to break in before it starts pulling anything from the water. By the way, the Bak Pak will work on your tank, but it is only effecient on tanks up to 55 gallon in my opinion. Anything larger than that, and it won't really pull as much from the water as other larger skimmers might.

litdawg79

Power is on.....not skimming and no bubbles....Sunday it was working last nite it was not.....:confused:
Airlines are properly connected, it just seems that the pump is not pumping the water to the bak pak......
That is not all the filtering I have and also have the eclipse hoods with the filtering and bio-weels....
The people at the store said it was more that enough filter for the 80 gal...

saltyrich

First of all, I would rarely listen to what anyone at the store was to say. The Bak Pak looses efficiency on any tank larger than a 55 gallon. Numerous folks on this board with a lot more experience than I have will indicate the same thing. Nevertheless, it appears as though there is a problem. If it is not pumping water into the acrylic chambers of the skimmer, then there is a problem with the pump. The pump pulls water from the main tank, aerates it in the first chamber. This aeration creates a foam that collects in the cup at the top. the skimmed water then travels through the last two chambers and exits through the return, back into the main tank. Now, if water is not entering into the first chamber, something is definately wrong with the pump. You can easily take it apart and check. If it is in fact bad, I'd return the pump and get another one. If you really want that skimmer to work on your tank, I'd upgrade to a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead pump. You'll have to also purchase the maxi-jet venturi kit to make it work. CPR's website also talks about this conversion.

litdawg79

The pump is a new pump , but don't remember what size it is???? will check this evening and let you know...thanks for the info.
You've been a great help. Maybe it can be fixed...

buzz

Silly question...there is a knob on the airtube. Are you sure it is open? If not, you won't get any bubbles. Incidentally, not sure about the preskimmer/bubble trap combo, but the standard bubble trap add-on is designed for the bakpak 2, and will NOT work with the 2R. The compartments are different.
If the impeller in the pump is clogged, you can take the powerhead apart and clean it. You may want to check that as well.

litdawg79

Simm your right...
I checked and found out that the propeller on the pump was just stuck. It's working like a charm now.....Thank goodness!!:)

saltyrich

Now throw that Rio 600 away and put on a maxi-jet 1200 with a venturi kit. Then it will run on your 80 gallon. There's a lot of info on this on CPR's web page.