CPR Bak Pak as Filter

orthoboy

Can I use a CPR bak pak as the filter and protein skimmer for my 20g tank? I was planning to remove the biomaterial since most say you don't need it, or should I simply get the new reef-ready bak pak? If not the CPR, what should I use as a filter?

I do, and have used a Bak Pak 2R (reef ready one) on my 20 gallon reef tank for over two years now. I am very satisfied with it. Its all i use for filtration besides LR and LS.

alohami

Is the "reef-ready" one the one that comes with the bio-bale media? I thought I heard that if it was going to be used on a reef that the media should be removed. Can you clarify that for us? Thanks!

jotade

I believe the reef ready bak-pak is the one without the biomedia in it.
And the logic for this is that since the customer has a reef tank than they likely have sand and live rock for the biological filtering and the skimmer will take care of the mechanical filtering.
However, I bought the regular bakpak and just removed the biomedia from it (since I have live rock as a bio filter already) and viola - it's now a reef ready bakpak. And if I ever need to use the bakpak as a bio filter plus skimmer I'll just put the biomedia back in it.

flatzboy

cpr bakpaks are the best bang for your buck in the skimmer department for tanks 50g. and under.:D

alohami

JotaDe..you're right. I had it backwards. The one I have has the bio-bale in it, but I'm just going to take it out and put the heater in it's place. (I read that idea in another thread) One less thing to have in my tank! I kind of hate to take the bio-bale out...it's kinda pretty. lol.
Glad to hear another vote of confidence for the BakPak!!!

jotade

Yep, I put my heater in there too.
Been waiting a long time to get that thing out of the tank :D
A word of caution though (not sure if it was mentioned in the other thread you read), if the pump to your skimmer goes off for any reason the heater won't heat the tank because the water from the skimmer won't be returning to the tank unless the pump is running. If you already knew then nevermind :)

alohami

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense though. Mine has the maxi-jet 1200, so I feel much more confident than if it had the Rio. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the heads up!