CPR Bak Pak Skimmer

megadon

I just purchased the CPR Bak PAK Skimmer and will get it on Monday the 29th. Anyone that uses one, how well does it work, are you happy with it?

tidepool

I've got one and it works. I've been running it for 4 months with out a problem.I've heard some bad things about the RIO pumps that run it though.I was told by one guy at my LFS to change the pump once a year regardless.

megadon

I got it from one of the online sites for $119 or so + shipping.
Do you run them 24/7 or if it's noisy and I put it on a timer will that greatly affect the functionality of the skimming effect?

sterling

I have a BAKPAK2 on my 40 gallon and it works great. I had 4 fish in that tank, but now have it running only for a quarantine/hospital tank. But my water levels were always good with it.

j21kickster

Just make sure to clean the grey elbow connectors to the pump around every month, if they get clogged you will notice fewer bubbles in the skimmer column ,and also clean the funnel to the collection cup about once a week depenking on how much DOM (dissolved organic matter) you are pulling from the tank, if it is dirty it dosent collect very well, but other than that i think its awsome.

pstanley

I would also recemmend buying one of the bubble removers (either external or internal). They make a huge difference...at least for me it did.

megadon

I thought about getting the bubble remover, I'll see what happens and maybe get it in later on if I need it. Does it shoot a lot of bubbles into the return? How bad is to have a few bubbles anyway?

B

bcarp

I have a CPR Bak Pak skimmer. You will need a bubble remover. I have a canister for filteration. The bubbles from the skimmer was making my canister blow a million little bubbles out. Now that I put a external bubble trap on. I have no more problems with it. If you don't put your heater in your skimmer(Like I do) I would recommend the internal bubble trap. The external ones are kind of big looking. The Bak Pak is a very good skimmer otherwise. I empty the waste box every 3 days. It collects alot of waste!

pstanley

Mine did shoot a lot of bubbles into the water. Based on what I have read the bubbles are not good for coral or fish. If they start building up under live rock they will also start to kill off anything trapped in the air bubbles.

slothy

does the skimmer have be running all the time ? or just let it rip for a few days ... ? i had a skilter 400 a few years ago on my old tank and that thing was loud ! and since the new tank it right next to my bed noise aint good... or is there one i can hide under my tank in my cabinet ? (about 24" of height under there)

iechy

If you wanted to do a sump you could put a skimmer underneath but it sounds like your space is kind of limited.