CPR BAK PAK2 QUESTIONS-PLEASE HELP

frankl

I have a cpr bak pak 2 . It has a filter at the bottom not bio bale just looks like a filter. I have cleaned it out from time to time . will these build up or make your nitrates high in the tank. do you need this filter or will my live rock naturally help filter the tank.
I'm still new so any help would be great
thanks

drummerboy

Did you happen to buy a cpr bakpak 2 "R"? The r stands for reef, and I know they eliminated the biobale in order to keep nitrates down. Is it just a sponge at the bottom to keep the bubbles where they belong? I have a bakpak with biobale, and it still doesn't cause the nitrates to be to high, so I think you should be ok, but I'm no expert, so hopefully someone else will respond too.

frankl

It is the 2 version. I just have a sponge. I made the mistake of washing it out with tap water last weak(stupid) . I think I just need to rinse out with salt water before I do my water changes.
Unless anyone has advice

kris

Yes your live rock is a big part of your filtration system but I would keep your bak-pak skimmer running (sounded like you weren't sure if you should even keep it) One little sponge is not going to make or break your bio-filtration-and this particular model was not intended to bio-filter anyway. So I wouldn't worry about rinsing it in tap.
Good Luck