cpr bakpak skimmer question

drewster

i remember reading a post somewhere that i should probably consider changing the Rio pump on this skimmer to make it more effective. Can somebody tell me which Rio pump i should replace it with. I believe it comes with the 600 model already. Thanks

kmr

I think I posted a pump upgrade on this board. I don't use a CPR skimmer but upgraded my RIO 800 for a Maxi - Jet 1200. I use this one a Knop skimmer though. I like the Maxi - Jet better because of the higher flow rate and it doesn't clog with salt as fast. That little elbow on the RIO's air intake is a pretty bad design. If it clogs your skimmer can overflow. I would maybe try a smaller pump than the 1200 since your skimmer came with a RIO 600. Maybe try a Maxi -Jet 900. I had to buy a ball valve to adjust the air flow into the pump as the adjuster for the Rio is nowhere near good enough. You will be pulling alot more air and need a way finer adjustment. I think you will happy the Maxi - Jet is much quieter too. One more thing, try adding a 3 foot or so chunck of air tubing to the other end of the ball valve and your skimmer should whisper quiet.

jtirone

I just bought a CPR backpack 2R. I was quite surprised on the size of the pump. so far no problems with flow. I am just not sure on the amount of bubbles that are produced. I am having problems getting a consistant foam. It has removed some gunk, but it does not foam a lot.