CPR biobale

fat_ed

I started up the tank about a month and a half ago with the idea of making it fish-only, as I had done in the past. I've basically reached the conclusion over the last few weeks that I am going reef once I feel that the tank has matured. I'm running a DSB with an Eheim for mechanical filtration only. I will have a refugium set up within a week. I also run a CPR Bak-Pak skimmer w/ the bio-bale still installed, which brings me to the root of my problem.
My understanding is that the BioBale can/will become a "nitrate factory" and that I am better off removing it. My nitrates are still very low, but I would like to keep them that way. As the tank has cycled, I am sure that the bale has been colonized with some bacteria already. How do I safely remove the bale without harming the tank's current inhabitants (which include cleanup critters, chromis, and a firefish goby)?
Or should I just leave the bale in and continue to monitor nitrates? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

broomer5

Any live rock in the tank ?
I have the same CPR skimmer you do, and I removed the blue bio stuff about a month ago, but I also run a wet/dry with minimum bio balls.
I removed a little of it at a time over the course of 2-3 weeks, a few strands so speak at a time.
Your tank is pretty young, and if the biobale stuff is your only bio filter, you may see an upset.
If you have LR, that would certainly help.
If not ... you could remove a little of it, just a little at a time would be wise, and continue to monitor.
HTH
Brian
[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]

foobaby

Hey Chelives, Why did you remove most of your biobale and replace with bioballs? Do you feel this will create less of a nitrate impact on reef? I also have a cpr wet/dry (cyclone194) on a 72 bow and what I do is clean the biobale with saltwater every 2-3 mos. to reduce nitrate buildup but still have benifits of larger bio filter. Am I missing something?