cpr Hang-On Refugiums

rigby

Does anyone have any good or bad stories concerning a CPR hang on? I've decided I don't really want to mess with all the plumbing on an under the tank regugium, and this way will probably be cheaper too. I'm a little concerned though about the added weight hanging on the outside of the tank, could this cause problems? Thanks

D

daniel411

Works great! Can overflow your aquarium if the power goes out depending on your water level though. Keep the power head supplying it on a battery back up just in case.

nm reef

My opinion is that they are rather small to be very effective...and for the price you could easily build a better one that could handle much more volume.I suppose they work as advertised...but a DIY with more volume and more macros would be better...at least I think so.:cool:

stargazer

i have one i use it on my 20gal with one pair of cin. clowns. it is a little small and dose cost a lot for what they are i fixed the overflow problem.took out tube on inside of overflow it can only get as high as the bulkhead now i do grow a small amount of culpra algea and it dose have pods nice little snack for the clowns i also have one small live rock in it but i do agree it dose not have a lot of space to help in nitrate export

I have one (the 18" model) hanging on the back of my reef tank. Doesn't do much except grow pods. I have a much bigger fuge plumbed into the system that is of great benefit. The dinky little ones from CPR are quite small and overpriced, as already mentioned. Comes to your door powered by a crappy Rio pump. Won't accomplish much for you...especially considering the price tag.
FWIW, I have 4" livesand, lots of liverock rubble, caulerpa and lots of pods. If you want yours for a pod growing area, great! If you are hoping to accomplish much more than that, shoot for the bigger under tank (or where-ever) model. More cost effective and more efficient in the long run.