CPR overflow---anyone wanna sell one

kpk

I know i should be putting this in the classifieds and all, but i figure people would look at this more.
Right now I have a mag 18 pumping about 1200gph and i was needing a cpr overflow instead of this junky mess that I have now.
It needs to be rated for 1000-1400gph.
Please anyone I'm in need.
Thanks,
Kyle

nm reef

Before you mess with a CPR overflow I'd urge you to consider LifeReef overflows...much better quality and much more dependable.:thinking:

robchuck

I could see that overflow being very noisy, and also troublesome when the power goes out. With the design in the picture, the U-tubes would loose their syphon everytime the power goes out. With a U-tube overflow, you want both ends of the U-tubes to be submerged when water stops flowing through them. This keeps the syphon until water begins flowing again. The end of the U-tubes in the skimmer box will remain submerged, but you would need to make modifications to the box on the outside for this overflow to keep it's syphon. You would need to add baffles as shown in the picture below. With this modification, the water would flow over both sides of the baffles to the bulkheads, and once water stops flowing, you would have a center chamber full of water, keeping both ends of the U-tubes submerged and ready for flow when the power comes back on.

I don't have any experience with LifeReef, but I do with CPR. I use a CS102 continuos syphon overflow and I love it. I have a Maxijet 1200 hooked to it down in my sump, which pulls all of the air bubbles out. I've been through a couple of power outages with no problem whatsoever, and have simulated several more, again with no problems. U tubes make me a little nervous...:nervous:

kpk

Ok I am a bit confused:confused:
What will keep the siphon in the skimmer box if there is no water in it?
Kinda hard to explain what I am thinking. Ok if there was a power outage, what will stop the siphon of the u-tube, and what will keep it from overflowing the sump.
And if the siphon pulls the water down far enough what will keep the water in the skimmer box to keep the siphon?
Anyone understand all that.
You all outta see my mess I have siphoning now:D it's a disater waiting to happen. Praying for now power outages.
Kyle

robchuck

Originally posted by Mr Enigma
With the extended height on those 2 PVC tubes either side of the u-tubes wouldn't your baffle suggestion be a little redundant?

I wasn't sure what exactly is underneath the protective wrapping. If the drain level of the risers is above the bottom of the U-tubes in the back box, then things should be alright, but that difference in height doesn't look like much to me, and I'd be afraid of turbulent water breaking the syphon, hence the reason for the baffles to calm things down a bit.

zippy

You could also do the Stockman mod on the pipes to get the added height instead of the baffles, but the principle is the same, water needs to be above the bottom of the u-tubes.