CPR overflow box

natclanwy

CPR overflow boxes use a siphon too, I don't know that they are anymore efficient but they are more prone to loosing there siphon than a U-tube style overflow. I have one of each and I like the u-tube style better I can leave the house or go to sleep without worrying about it overflowing if the aqualifter pump stops working or salt plugs the vent hole.

indyws6

Greetings

I ran a CPR CS100 overflow box on a 55G tank for two years and never once lost siphon. It was so reliable, in fact, that I didn't even use an air pump on the "bleeder" valve - I kept it plugged. I would have to restart the siphon arfter water changes or major tank maintenance, but for no other reason.
Your mileage may vary, but I just thought that I would comment on the results I had. Although I now have a "reef ready" (drilled) tank - and prefer it that way - the CPR overflow was very well built and reliable.
Hope this helps...
Take Care

coralreefer

thanks

i dont want to spend extra $$$ if i have to, so should i go with the CPR or one with a u-tube? thanks for the help

natclanwy

I would go with a u-tube style overflow, there is a reason they put the vent in the top of the CPR overflows and the manufacturer recommends hooking it up to a powerhead or aqualifter pump. I never had any issues with mine either, but I had the pump hooked up and I regularly saw air bubbles at the top of the overflow without the pump they would accumulate and break the siphon. The flow is so spread out that it won't clean the bubbles out on its own like a properly setup U-tube so you have three pieces of equipment to worry about failing (overflow, aqualifter pump, return pump) instead of two.

scsinet

I've run 3 different ones at various times...
The trick to these overflows is to run them between 60% and 80% of their rated capacity.
If you run too little flow through them, bubbles accumulate in the top of the overflow and will eventually break siphon (that is, unless you use the aqualifter). If you run over 80%, the overflow has a hard time keeping up. I've found their ratings to be "optimistic."
If you do get one, the two pieces of advice I'll give you is first, keep a spare aqualifter on hand at all times. They need to be replaced every 6-12 months. Second, use black hose on the aqualifter. Clear tends to jam up with algae. You can get black hose from a home improvement store with the "drip style" sprinkler system stuff.

salty blues

FWIW, I have been running the CS 50 by CPR for over a year. I use the suction port on a Maxi-Jet 1200 PH to keep air pulled out of the CS 50. The CS 50 has never, ever broke it's siphon. Also, if set up properly, the CS 50 is reasonably quiet. ymmv.

coralreefer

im going to get a u-tube siphon oveflow. scinet, i wasnt clear on what you were saying, could you repeat it in an easier form

natclanwy

Originally Posted by coralreefer
http:///forum/post/2577000
im going to get a u-tube siphon oveflow. scinet, i wasnt clear on what you were saying, could you repeat it in an easier form

I think what you are looking for is if you get an overflow rated for 1000gph then choose a pump that flows somewhere between 600-800gph after headloss.

scav1180

sorry to piggyback off this topic but I was researching on sumps and finally got an idea what im doing..
since its on CPR overflows..
I'll be looking in to getting a cpr100 with a mag9. the sump will be a 20 or
30g tank. Instead of going under the tank it'll be on the right side of the tank below due to lack of space under my DT. The size of the DT is 90g.
Where im lost now is the piping.... Like what size and what not. How do I know what size I need or is it pretty much what fits to get the water down?
thanks in advance

coralreefer

i was looking, and i saw that the remora pro protein skimmer has a drain fitting on it. is that for draining the water to the sump? could i use a drain fitting form a protein skimmer to drain water into the sump?

coralreefer

i think im going with the eshopps PF-300 overflow, which is rated at 300 GPH, but since the bulkhead is 1in, it would be around 600 GPH right? im going to use a mag 9.5 pump after about five feet of headloss. does this sound good to you guys?

salty blues

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2576097
CPR overflow boxes use a siphon too, I don't know that they are anymore efficient but they are more prone to loosing there siphon than a U-tube style overflow. I have one of each and I like the u-tube style better I can leave the house or go to sleep without worrying about it overflowing if the aqualifter pump stops working or salt plugs the vent hole.
Do the u-tube style overflows have vent/ports to keep air pulled out(by using a powerhead). The priming instructions on the eshopps say to bend and stick a piece of tubing into the u-tube to suck the air out.
And as I stated previously, I have never had my cpr cs50 lose siphon. Mind, I do keep a constant pull on the purge port with a maxi-jet 1200.

natclanwy

http:///forum/post/2577299
i was looking, and i saw that the remora pro protein skimmer has a drain fitting on it. is that for draining the water to the sump? could i use a drain fitting form a protein skimmer to drain water into the sump?
The drain fitting on a protien skimmer is for draining the collection cup to a larger container, so no you can't use it to feed water to a sump

http:///forum/post/2577327
i think im going with the eshopps PF-300 overflow, which is rated at 300 GPH, but since the bulkhead is 1in, it would be around 600 GPH right? im going to use a mag 9.5 pump after about five feet of headloss. does this sound good to you guys?
I don't know what to make of that overflow all of the measurements make it sound like it should be able to handle more than 300gph but they don't list the size on the u-tube and that will ultimatly decide the flowrate. Even if the overflow is capable of 600gph the mag 9.5 will be too much pump it will be sending somewhere around 700gph to the tank after headloss. I would see if you can find out what size the u-tube is before you buy a pump and then go with a Mag 7 or Quietone 3000 if it has a 1" u-tube or mag 5 if it really is only capable of 300gph.