CPR Overflows

Are CPR overflows any good? I just bought one for $89. I haven't received it yet but I just read a post that said CPR overflows lose their siphon alot. Should I return this overflow or is there something I can do to make it more reliable? Thanks.

bingo

If you want the best, most people will say go with Amiracle, or Lifereef. I have a Lifereef overflow, and it is flawless. No powerhead to keep the siphon, and NEVER had the sipon break or not restart for me. Many people use the CPRs, there's nothing wrong with them, but a lot of people use powerheads to keep the siphon going on those models because they don't work well on their own. To me, it's worth it to buy a premium overflow box, since a flood isn't my idea of a good time :)

bagofsalt

there will be an instruction in your CPR overflow how to set it up so you won't loose the siphon. Just a heads up, go to your LFS and get yourself a silicone airline tubing... you will definately need it. ;)
how do I know ? ...cause I have one... LOL !!!
P.S. you might need a powerhead but, you already got that in your tank.
Reuben.

ironreef

IME cpr overflow suck. Even with a powerhead. Oneday you may lose power. One day your power make come back on. Sometimes powerheads don't = flood. overflows like lifereef are dependant on powerheads to restart siphon = better. IME drilled is the best. If you need a hangon i would use one that doesn't need a powerhead. CPR I don't like. I had floods from mine

david s

umm u guys are worryin me now with the loose siphon thing i got a check on pump but no safty for that should i put somw knida shut off in sump incase ths happends like a low water switch and do they make them ???

broomer5

100% agreement with bingo
LifeReef external overflows are the best IMO.
Although a lot of folks use the CPR units, I prefer not to have to rely on a powerhead of any kind to maintain a siphon.
Powerheads fail as well at power up situations, especially the Rio600/800's - I've used them both.
I would imagine folks that have had bad luck with any external overflow losing it's siphon is either due to a flaw in it's original design, or undersizing their return pump.
If the overflow is designed right, but you do not have enough flow through the U Tube, it's easy for entrapped air bubbles to collect in the top radial curve of the U Tube, and eventually these air bubbles form one large bubble that will cause the siphon action to cease.
I've played around with various pumps and overflows, and have been able to reproduce this entrapped bubble effect several times. Not hard at all if you have too small a pump. You can see the bubbles form as the water rolls over the teeth of the inner box, and rise up into the U Tube. Eventually, the siphon breaks.
Here's a link to LifeReef.
Jeff makes 2 models only;
700 gph
1400 gph
They are a wonderful design, and worth every penny, but also make sure you have enough return pump to do the job as well.
The two go hand in hand.
<a href="http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html" target="_blank">http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html</a>

stevel

I also have the Lifereef and love it.I've never had a problem with it loosing siphon.I've unplugged the return pump many times and it has always restarted.