CPR protein skimmer

johnnymas

i am fairly new to the site and new to the hobby. I just picked up a used hang from the back CPR protein skimmer. It doesnt have a pump. any recommendations? also what exactly does a protein skimmer do?

dacia

I have a CPR Bak Pak 2 protein skimmer. Is that the one that you have? It's good for tanks that are small. Mine is only 30 gallons.
I think a Maxi-jet 1200 would be good to power the skimmer if you have the same kind that I do. If it is a different model, then I'm not sure.
Basically it removes all the dissolved organic crap from your water. Ever watch the foam that crashes on the seashore? A protein skimmer removes that kind of garbage from your reef. Every week or so you will empty the tray and see that it has lots of this foam in it.

buzz

If it is a model 2 or 2R, it is designed for use with a Rio 600. That is what it is sold with. You can upgrade the pump to an 800, or switch brands to a maxijet 1200 as noted above, but you need to make sure that whichever pump you get, it has a venturi kit. Just using a powerhead does nothing. You need the air tube as well.

dacia

Mine came with a rio, but it broke down in no time. ;) That's why I recommend the Maxijet.

johnnymas

thanks BUZZ and DARCIA for your advice and help... as far as the venturi kit/ air hose do they come with the pump? if not will my LFS know what i need(i hope)
thanks again

dacia

It will come with the pump. It will say on the box whether or not it is included. Good luck!

birdy

I think you can go to CPR's website and they have the info on ordering the maxijet kit that will run the skimmer.