Crab help!!!!

steel

ok i know that anemone crabs like to have an anemone but do they leave it on there shell and carry it with them or do they just stay under it or in it?
The other thing was do anyone know how the decorator crab gets there stuff i mean i now they kinda hook it to there bodies but how do they get stuff that small? Do they clip it off and if so dose it mess up the anemone or anything
thank you
Travis

scooterb

I'm not sure about the decorator crabs, but the anemone crabs "adopt" an anemone and then stay in it much like a percula dose. Mine comes out during the day and then slips in behind the anemone at night. It shares the sebae with my perculas. Truly a cool crab to watch.

stapler

The decorator crabs will grab random objects in your tank and slap them on your back. They might take a piece of one of your corals for example, but when they are covered up, then they shouldnt bother them anymore.
HTH
stapler

stapler

LOL...I mean slap objects on THEIR back. I would be scared if the crab was slapping me on my back.:yes:

steel

lol ok but dose it go and brake off a pice and then the corals start to grow on it thats kinda what i need to know?
oo ya and also i know that they like to have an anemone and i was just wondering how they get them. and if it would hurt the anemone???
Thanks
Travis

stapler

I might be mistaking, but I thought that anemone crabs just liked to chill under an anemone. I dont know about them having one on their back....get someone else's opinion on that.
For example if you have a colony of polyps, the decorator might nip one or two polyps and slap them on his back. I am sure they polyps would live on his back without a problem(as long as they get some light here and there). I have seen them with some sand, crushed coral, anything that will help them blend in. Who knows, maybe they could slap a snail on their back.:thinking:

masterreef

Our anemone crab hangs out in the center a large sebae anemone by day and slides beneath it at night. He coexists peacefully with the hosting pair of perculas . . .
Don't confuse anemone crabs with those hermits the LFS has with an anemone on their shell . . .

moto757

i got a decorator crab and it just pulls anything in your tank for camoflage which looks pretty funny sometimes i don't have corals and wouldn't want any with them or sponges he usally does himself up with various things every couple of weeks i will notice somthing new