Crab help

jobu28

How do you guys catch a small (nickel size)crab that is in a rock. I have a large rock, of course it the base rock to my whole nano formation, which has kind of has a tunnel in it. I dont know what type of crab it is as i have only seen him briefly twice. He has a pale orange body and claws(cant see what color the tips are) and what looks like white or white/black banded legs. Cant get a pic as i cant get within 5 ft of the tank or runs back in the hole. Dont know if he is good or bad, but need to see/get him to tell. Any ideas?

renogaw

take a water bottle
cut off the top where it goes to the neck
flip the cut piece over, and place it into the bottle
put some tasty morsels in the bottle, and put the opening at the hole the crab is in.
ship the crab to me :) he'll have a home in my sump.

jobu28

Thanks Renogaw but the hole is only about 2" of the floor. Do you still think it can work? I tried to include a pic to get the idea but the hole is hard to see. Let me know what you think? Any ideas based on my poor description what he might be? If hes harmless he can stay?

renogaw

yup, will work probably better as long as you can keep the bottle in place. worse comes to worst, if you see it travelling on the rock somewhere you can try to pick out the rock too (especially if it's a top piece).

yearofthenick

He'll get more comfortable. It looks like a new tank so I think it will take a little time for the crab to get used to it's new surroundings. I don't think you have anything to worry about anyway. If it was ALL black, then it's probably a rock crab, which are not good for aquariums... but orange doesn't sound bad. I would consider it a nice bonus that you got for free. Look on the bright side, you've got a crab in there now. One less thing to add.