Crab ID 2

V

vince-1961

Please identify these crabs.
This guy looks like he is a good guy. Shell is about one and a half inches or so long.
Attachment 208664
Attachment 208665
Got two of these. Shell is about an inch or so long.
Attachment 208666
This guy came out of that hole, which is about 2" wide and so deep I never knew he was there. Talk about hairy!
Attachment 208667
This guy likes to stay on my hard corals. Is he a bad guy? He's about as big as a penny.
Attachment 208668

viv2me

pic no 6 is a hermit crab, dont know what type.
no2 is also hermit crabs.
harry is a hairy crab.
no 4 i cant really see how it looks from above
no1 cute...lol

renogaw

um... "harry" is a gorilla crab, get it out asap.
the small crab (penny sized) is probably an Acro crab, symbiotic with hard corals. its a keeper
any hermit that as big as the others are probably not reef safe

cranberry

The last one... Charlie.... is a Petrochirus diogenes.
I hope you were attempting to stock with aggressive crabs.... I hope these are not all hitchhikers or ones you bought thinking they were the friendly sort.

V

vince-1961

Charlie, the sand cleaner, came with the tank for sure.
Harry is a hitchiker.
The rest I don't know where they came from or whether they were in the tank when I got it.
I'm keeping Charlie no matter what.
Are the rest good or bad?

harlikwin

The penny sized crab looks almost like a red mithrax crab to me. Not a bad guy unless he gets too hungry and a fish presents itself as convenient dining.

V

vince-1961

Hi Cranberry....Just now found your post. (little slow....)
I put the good guys in the DT, whicxh is to say, all of the ones I had in the QT. Hard to find them now. Haven't seen #1 in a while. If I see him, I'll take more pics.
As for the gorilla crab, Harry, I had to pull the rock out of the tank in order to get him, but I got him....after he chopped the big starfish's leg in half and may have been the cause of the little starfish's demise. Since then, of course, I've found a Harry, Jr.. He has taken up residence int he same hole where I won't get to him w/o pulling the rock out of the tank, but at least he is a bit smaller.