Crabs in my tank !!

jacob10

Hello all,
i've noticed today 2 small crabs sitting inside my LR, one is black and the other is brown, should i remove them off the tank? whats their bad effect if they got any??
thanks
EDIT: Pics added below

donald

The standard response to this sort of question is "when in doubt, get it out" Pics would "greatly" help us identify your hitchers along with the way they act in a tank.

noah's nemo

They'll eat your snails.If they are a variety of hermit, blue leg or brown with white stripes on legs,then they're fine to have.I have about 50 cruising my tank.No snails of course.I like them though ,some ppl don't...yes pics would help also

mr_x

they are certainly not hermits. the "big guy" looks like a gorilla crab. bad for the reef, but ok for a fish tank. the other one i'm not sure of, but it does look like a predator.

noah's nemo

I think the one on the rock hanging on upsidedown is a hermit,not sure of the light brown one on the sand?
MrX,no i don't work there.I'm not to sure where paoli is
I live near DuBois
Well MrX would know more than me,so listen to him.

jacob10

i wanna get rid of them.. whats the best way, i mean i would feel bad gettin them out of the tank and tossing them in the trash can

mr_x

do you have a sump? i always throw my mean crabs in the sump. its like a "survival of the fittest" with macroalgae.