Crabs versus Snails

tlsohio

I'm preparing to purchase a CUC and I have made some decissions from all the info that I've read here (thanks all). I'd prefer snails over hermet crabs. But, I like the "Emerald" and "Porcelain" crabs. Do all crabs eat snails or just the hermits the vi for thier shells. Any advise???
Thanks in advance, Tracy

kas2247

I've never seen my emeralds or porcelains touch a snail. I have one huge emerald and 3 other smaller ones and have had several porcelains. They're both really cool to watch. Especially the porcelains.

I've had blue leg hermits kill snails AND red scarletts for their shells....but their the best cuc , they eat food , leftover mysis , poop , algae you name it...just make sure you have a number of larger empty shells in your tank

stanlalee

emerald crabs are opportunistic so I wouldn't put it past getting anything it could catch and kill. that said I've had a few and never seen them kill any snails. on the otherhand they are pretty useless IMO other than eating bubble algae. porcelains are even more useless. If you want a few crabs because you like crabs get them but I wouldn't even include them as a productive part of my CUC. sort of like making a cleaner shrimp part of your clean up crew (cept they actually work and consume left over food quickly). you get em cause you like em. snails are much better cleaners.

tlsohio

Ya, I guess I really like the emerald and the porcelain's looks. I had hermit crabs as a kid and they really didn't do anything for me, maybe I am holding grudges
, but I really like the looks of the emerald and porcelain. I've also seen them in a couple different CUC packages.
I appreciate all your advice folks. Thanks

tito3054

my emeralds are alittle usesless but ive seen my blue and scarlets with my snail do most of the work.

creekchub

I have noticed some hermits will eat your snails and some dont. Try a sally lightfoot, they don't seem to mees with snails, those guys are always on the move.

tlsohio

Well, I stuck to my guns and gut feelings & left the hermits in the store. I bought my CUC for my 40gal...It consists of:
4 Mexican turbos (the big guys)
10 turbos
1 Emerald crab
2 Peppermint shirmp
All my water perImeters are great and I love my new additions!!!
Thanks for all the advice guys!!
Does anyone have any suggestions as to another kritter of maybe fish that would do the job of a hermit. I understand that hermits are really good trash cans, there has to be another kritter that can come close without the risk of loosing snails. Any suggestions?????

sly

Originally Posted by tlsohio
http:///forum/post/2944809
Well, I stuck to my guns and gut feelings & left the hermits in the store.
Good decision... Snails like to eat tank waste while crabs like to eat snails. Consider a lawnmower blenny or a sand sifting starfish as well. My favorite is still pincushion urchins. I have 8 of them and they work great. You just have to get used to them picking up a snail and crawling around with it on its back. They like to have protection when out in the open. They will put the snail down eventually and then they can both go on their way.

renogaw

Originally Posted by tlsohio
http:///forum/post/2944809
Well, I stuck to my guns and gut feelings & left the hermits in the store. I bought my CUC for my 40gal...It consists of:
4 Mexican turbos (the big guys)
Any suggestions?????
yes, bring these back.
ONE mexican turbo in a 40 gallon is going to starve, let alone 4...
not tomention that they are colder water temperature snails so they end up dying anyway hehe.

nyhcx516x

my emerald executed my cleaner shrimp. Got close to catching my yellow watchman goby too.
Side question, are sand sifting stars good if you want to keep the sand bed alive? do they eat the critters that live in the sand bed?

renogaw

Originally Posted by NYHCx516x
http:///forum/post/2944916
my emerald executed my cleaner shrimp. Got close to catching my yellow watchman goby too.
Side question, are sand sifting stars good if you want to keep the sand bed alive? do they eat the critters that live in the sand bed?
sand sifters are no good for microfauna in the sand bed

nyhcx516x

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2945012
that's probably the first time that's ever happened.
the cleaner shrimp was VERY friendly..
He shed one morning(the shrimp)... I saw his shell out in the open and him hiding in the corner... came home from work.. and the crab had the cleaners head in his claw munching away. I was stunned.