Crack in tank

Cleaning out one of my tanks last night, it cracked suddenly in two different directions. Both cracks start from one single area on the edge of the tank and then continue, one upward, one downward. WIll this tank ever hold water again? Can it be fixed or should I just trash it? Thanx!

buzz

Patrick, that is hilarious!
Yeah Jillian, the tank is trash. Small scratches can be filled, but if it cracked like you say it did, it is garbage.

justinx

Originally posted by I like fish
You could remove all the silicone, replace the glass, then re-seal it.

It would be cheaper to buy a whole new tank

justinx

Actually now that I think about it, you are probably right. But it really depends on the size of the tank. I know that glass panels are pretty expensive around me if I am specific about the dimensions, its mostly the thickness that drives up the price.

serpentine5

Something else you can do is pick up a piece of plexi-glass the exact size to fit over the panel that is cracked from the inside. Put it intot he tank and silicone it into place and over the cracks. turn the tank around so the repaired panel is in the back if it was in the front. I have done this on two diffrent tanks and they did very well. No leakage, and the cracks did not spread any farther.

jtroutine

Okay let me get this straight, we spend rediculous amounts of money on everything that requires a hobbyist to have there dream tank a success....why the,, h-e double hocky stick,, would you want to take a chance....dont let it see water again except maybe a dish of water for a lizard or something.

sal t. nutz

Nobody has even asked if it was glass or acrylic. If glass, yes trash it, if it's acrylic, there is no reason you can't patch it with a patch of acrylic bought at HD and some weldon 16.