cracked tank. Can it be fixed?

karavak

This tank was cracked when I over tightened a skimmer (I believe that was the cause). So I upgraded but I want to find out if it's possible to repair a crack like this so I can use the tank again.
If I can or even should repair it what is the best material to actually use to do it? This is a 46g bow and the crack is on the back.

reef noob

sure you can fix it.
just throw on tons of silicone, it wont look pretty but it will hold water.
i know a fish breeder who has tons of tanks like that.

nycbob

i personally wouldnt fix it. why risk having water all over the place. even with silicon fix, the integrity of the glass has been compromised already. water contains lots of pressure. the only way to fix it is to replace the whole back glass.

gmann1139

I saw the title and was getting ready to post about crack propagation, stress points, etc., and then I saw the picture.
Its actually not a bad crack to have. It can't get any longer and there are no 'offshoots'. If you can seal it to the point it will hold water, and don't cause any stress along that surface, you should be ok.

grubsnaek

dont chance it. cause you'll be spending alot more than the cost of a new tank if that thing pops.........................

lostinsalt

u could get a peice of glass cut the same size as the back and silicone it in, that way the pressure is put on the back glass instead of the crack. I did this to a 35gal about 9yr. Ago and still holding

ajer

REPLACE YOUR TANK!!!!
If you want you can get a acrylic tank, they will scratch but they usually won't crack.