crafty ideas 4 dwarf tank

veronicad

Hello all!! TGIF!!
I finished reading the most excellent book devoted to dwarf seahorses. It gave me a couple of ideas I'd like to run by everyone.
First, I thought a person could make a really great 'custom' seahorse tree from polymer clay (the kind you bake in your oven to harden). Is anyone aware of any toxic reactions between cured polymer clay and saltwater?
Also, I thought of using the plastic mesh canvas (for needlpoint) with the finest gauge to create a nursery which could hang in the main tank. I think it would give the fry the best possible start by enabling maximum feeding concentration, while still having the water quality of the main tank. Perhaps for the first 2-3 weeks?
The book even mentioned using the plastic canvas to partition a large tank, 10-15 gal, so that the 'dangerous' equipment was safely behind the partition. The mesh would also buffer the current. It was mentioned that this would offer the benefit of large-tank water quality/stability and yet afford the feeding density of a smaller tank. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't be able to start my dwarf tank until maybe August, but when I do, I'll be really ready!!!

Can't wait to hear feedback on this!
Til later,
Veronica

veronicad

Anyone? Well, today I went 'browsing' at local fish stores. I saw some AMAZING fish!! I think, based on what I've seen so far, that perhaps I'll go with a 10-gal hex. It's taller than it is wide, and I'm thinking that to begin with I could only fill 5-6 gal worth. Later, hopefully my 'ranch' will outgrow the space and i can increase the room without investing in a new tank setup. Not even sure if this is possible ( running the 10 gal basically half full). As always, looking for feedback from those more experienced than I.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

A

alexmir

Since this forum is back up ill be the first to comment! i think that would be a good idea, that would be a great way to keep them from the tank, while giving them the same water quality.
Also, making sure all the fry eat is very important, so sounds great to me!

bronco300

sorry, didnt look in here...i'm not really sure about clay...not sure i would trust it though....you could try making it and put it in freshwater and see how the parameters does...but i dont know...i've used cement but there are certain types you can get.
you'll have to explain the canvas more in detail for me...you will make a box that they can go in or what?

A

alexmir

I just thought, that clay your talking about has to be fired in a kiln, which reaches temp. around 1500 degrees i think it is (correct me if im wrong). So it would take special clay and equipment to be able to make something out of it.

veronicad

No, polymer clay is baked in a regular household oven; around 350 for 30 minutes I think. I've used it before to make other items but it's been awhile. I don't recall any strong fumes while baking or anything.... I could always test it and watch water parameters before I get my ponies....
The plastic mesh could be cut to any size and tied together with, for example, fish line. You can make a box and create a 'hanger' to attach it to the side of the tank. Rykna used some plastic canvas in some of her tank projects I've seen her post.
thanks for the feedback; keep it coming!! I'm SO glad this forum is back up and running! Really had me scared for a minute when the whole thing went missing!!

bronco300

with the clay if you DO try it i would try it just in a rubbermaid container so if it does have any contaminants you don't ruin the tank by chance that it stays in there.
so for the canvas if i am correct in understanding you want a box with the top open that will hang onto the back...the top lip will be just above the water and you'll put the babies in there so they'll have hitches through the holes, and you can put food in there??
If thats what you're thinking its possible it could work, or turn very bad by all the bbs escaping through the holes and leaving your babies starving.

veronicad

It comes in various gauges; I would probably test it with bbs only first and see how fast/if they can escape. Or I could use a larger gauge and line it with fine cloth.....?? Obviously still playing with ideas, but I like the thought of separating the fry for intensified feeding. Might get me a higher survival rate?

bronco300

it could, but one time the bbs may stay great in the container and the next time they may all escape right away...so you never know unless you constantly watch over each one ya know?

juice_1080

If I were you I would just find a pottery shop and make what you want there. From my understand natural clay that gets kiln fired is safe for saltwater. The standard firing temperature for firing clay in a kiln is Cone 10 which is 2340 Degrees Fahrenheit. This allows the clay to become properly fused together.
I have some frag plugs made of clay but I am also not sure if it is a special mineral composition in it since I did not make them. If you were to go this route I would ask the pottery shop if there is anyway you could get their clay recipe so you can verify that it is "safe" and possibly post the recipe on here. Either me or someone else should be able to help you with that.
The clay you are talking about is made out of a different compound that fires in lower temperatures. I am not sure what the mineral makeup of that clay is but I don't know if I would risk my tank on it.

juice_1080

For the other idea with the mesh or whatever you could always pick up a specimen container that hangs on the rim of the tank inside and cut the face off of it and superglue like 200-100 micron cloth from like a filter sock over the face. Superglue is safe and so is that cloth (its used at the end of overflow tubes) it will keep them in for sure and will also allow water movement. Probably not enough to get alot of flow in it but enough to disperse the water around the tank.

veronicad

Excellent ideas!!! So, pottery...like ceramic? Kiln fired to the bisque stage but not glazed? I can't really see how glazing would hurt, though. In the second firing it just melts to a smooth glass surface..... Hmmm There is a ceramic place down the road, but I don't know if they deal with raw clay or only slip-poured molds. I'll have to check it out. Any specifics I should look for when analyzing clay?
As for the in-tank fry 'room', I got the idea from another guys personal experiences where he used an in-tank hatchery and used aquarium caulk to seal most of the holes. In his notes he said that it really made a difference in the survival rate of his fry. At the time it made sense and I thought I'd explore the idea....
Thanx again, everyone!!

veronicad

By the way, What does anyone think about getting the 10-gal hex and only filling it 1/2 way to begin with? Could you think of any problems with going that route? Other than it may look funny?

A

alexmir

if it was filled only half way up where would the filter intake go?

rykna

Originally Posted by veronicad
http:///forum/post/2452328
By the way, What does anyone think about getting the 10-gal hex and only filling it 1/2 way to begin with? Could you think of any problems with going that route? Other than it may look funny?

Well.........I could think of one way it would be awesome, but hard to maintain. Seahorses' natural habitat has an enormous amount of sea grasses and other water plants. If you left the top open, to allow the plants to grow I think that would be a beautiful challenge.

bronco300

Originally Posted by veronicad
http:///forum/post/2452328

i dont see any problems with it...10gal hex tanks are cool.