Craig Bay's Reef Tank Diary!

happyfeet

Hi guys, I decided to make a reef tank. Normally I wouldn't post a diary, but this one is going to be a little "special".
I was talking with some friends about my plans and all anyone said was "That hobby is too expensive!", "Kiss your wallet good bye", well you get the point. I'm sure you have all said them at one point to someone!
** no you don't need to tell me how expensive building a tank is I know! **
I said to my friend I bet there are ways to cut costs on the set up of a reef tank. **Lots of laughing**
Then it happened.. the bet was made.
"I bet you can't make a reef tank for fewer than 400 dollars." I decided to take up the bet since I was going to make a tank anyway.
The guidelines of the bet

Can not go over 400 dollars
Tank must have a sump and fuge
Requires plumbing
Must have minimal of 2 power heads
Sand, Live Rock, Fish, Coral, and Salt is not included in the 400 dollars
Tank must work and keep everything alive for 6 months.
Tank must be completed in 4 months.
Everything used on the tank must not have been owned by me prior to the bet
I'm not entirely sure I can do it, but I figure it’s worth a shot and it could be fun! I have no idea how long this will take me, but I'm hoping I can do it in 4 months!
With that being said if anyone has extra equipment they don’t need, I’ll pay shipping!

flower

Originally Posted by Happyfeet
http:///forum/post/3118032
Hi guys, I decided to make a reef tank. Normally I wouldn't post a diary, but this one is going to be a little "special".
I was talking with some friends about my plans and all anyone said was "That hobby is too expensive!", "Kiss your wallet good bye", well you get the point. I'm sure you have all said them at one point to someone!
** no you don't need to tell me how expensive building a tank is I know! **
I said to my friend I bet there are ways to cut costs on the set up of a reef tank. **Lots of laughing**
Then it happened.. the bet was made.
"I bet you can't make a reef tank for fewer than 400 dollars." I decided to take up the bet since I was going to make a tank anyway.
The guidelines of the bet

Can not go over 400 dollars
Tank must have a sump and fuge
Requires plumbing
Must have minimal of 2 power heads
Sand, Live Rock, Fish, Coral, and Salt is not included in the 400 dollars
Tank must work and keep everything alive for 6 months.
Tank must be completed in 4 months.
Everything used on the tank must not have been owned by me prior to the bet
I'm not entirely sure I can do it, but I figure it’s worth a shot and it could be fun! I have no idea how long this will take me, but I'm hoping I can do it in 4 months!
With that being said if anyone has extra equipment they don’t need, I’ll pay shipping!

What do you get if you win the bet or lose if you don't?
I have no used equipment...I traded for coral...craigs list is the best place to shop for bargins in a short time frame..beware of rip offs!
It shouldn't be too hard to find a tank with the basic needs for $400.00 lights however for a reef is going to be the hard part..can you borrow equipment, will that count?

happyfeet

Nope, I need to own everything. =) I'm going to try and go for T5 lighting.
If I win the bet I get bragging rights? I dunno its mainly just for fun.
I'm also avoiding "Free packages" where someone is just given away a whole system. Takes away from the fun.
I got two emails back a couple minutes ago.
I am going to be picking up a 55 Gal long tank with a stand and I got an "under tank filter".
I didn't ask questions about the filter, anything I get that turns out I don't need I'm going to list locally for 5 or ten bucks and put it towards fish.

flower

Originally Posted by Happyfeet
http:///forum/post/3118057
Nope, I need to own everything. =) I'm going to try and go for T5 lighting.
If I win the bet I get bragging rights? I dunno its mainly just for fun.
I'm also avoiding "Free packages" where someone is just given away a whole system. Takes away from the fun.
I got two emails back a couple minutes ago.
I am going to be picking up a 55 Gal long tank with a stand and I got an "under tank filter".
I didn't ask questions about the filter, anything I get that turns out I don't need I'm going to list locally for 5 or ten bucks and put it towards fish.

I think the lighting for a reef will be your biggest challenge...this should be interesting..

spanko

My suggestion would be do a nano. A couple of 5.5 gallon tanks, some HOB Aquaclear filter. Should be easy to stay under the $400. Hmmm seems there was a contest doing this on another site let me look around and get back to you.
Here ya go, go to the first link then back to page 1. There it will list all the contestants threads and what they did to proceed. Even if you go with a larger tank you may get some good ideas. Hope it helps.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=The+Officially+...l+Tank+Contest

happyfeet

Talked to my brother-in-law and he is going to set me up with some PVC piping joints and shut off valves. Not sure how much it will cost yet but he works for a plumbing company and he gets big discounts.

I'm hoping to get lucky on the lighting and find an awesome ad online. Those can run about 400 dollars haha!

happyfeet

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3118062
My suggestion would be do a nano. A couple of 5.5 gallon tanks, some HOB Aquaclear filter. Should be easy to stay under the $400. Hmmm seems there was a contest doing this on another site let me look around and get back to you.
Here ya go, go to the first link then back to page 1. There it will list all the contestants threads and what they did to proceed. Even if you go with a larger tank you may get some good ideas. Hope it helps.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=The+Officially+...l+Tank+Contest
Thanks! I'll start reading through them!

d-dzel

It's a mater of finding good deals but it can be done. Some local guy around here was selling a 55g with a 20L sump/fuge overflow box, 2 power heads, sand, 20lbs LR and a T5 light fixture, and return pump with plumbing all for $90. I tried to jump on this, but it was gone in just 2 min after it was posted

happyfeet

Yeah, stuff flys. I've been told a couple times I was too late. I have a timer that every ten minutes I refreash the "free" section on CL. I missed a 200gl with koraline powerheads!! =(

fishkid13

What I would do for lighting is get row of energy saver bulbs w/ or w/out reflecters and one or two stips of deep atintic (sp) lighting. Really cheap and works surpising well, just make sure you get the right kind of bulb.
Does the sump/fuge have to be a tank? If not then use a rubber maid tub. A little harder to but the dividers in but much cheaper, and same effect. Kinda a corny thing but yard sales have great deals on that kind of stuff. You won't always see it but when you do you can get some really great deals. Well here you can.

posiden

I am with spanko. If it just to win a bet and have some fun.....I would go nano. If nothing else you would have a real nice qt setup for the bigger tank. Take out the rock and sand to seed all the macro you buy for the larger tank, keep a spong behind and your off.

happyfeet

Picked up a few things this weekend.
Hang on Filter (not sure if I'll use)
25 Gallon tank
Stand for 25 gallon tank
Lighting strip, much to large for the 25 gallon.
The 55 gallon I was supposed to pick up droped off the earth and won't return my emails

happyfeet

That would be such a cop out!

Though I may end up doing that.. Dealing with people on craigslist is getting irritating to say the least.

happyfeet

Ok so far, Tank and stand $100
48” 4x54w T5HO Nova Extreme $125
Plumbing Material $10
Filtration equipment $30
$265 total spent so far.
Once its all together I'll take pictures

happyfeet

Everything is bought and it came to a total of $346. Last item is due to arrive next week which is a bulkhead for the CPR overflow box I got for 20 bucks!
I still need to build my Turf Algae Scrubber and install the bulkhead on the CPR box, but other than that its complete. I'll take a picture of everything and post it tomorrow.
I won't be able to set the tank up until the 26th. Moving into my new place woohoo.
Here is the list
Tank $100
48” 4x54w T5HO Nova Extreme $125
Plumbing Material $10
Filtration equipment $30(For Turf Algae Scrubber)
Skimmer $20
1" Bulkhead $6
Old as sin powerhead $5
Two Hydor Koralia Powerheads $20 (one was still in original wrapping)
Ehiem 1260 Sump Return Pump $30

braydonosu

This is too funny, I'm trying to do the same thing as well. Kind of a bet with myself to keep a 75 gal build under $500. Good luck with your setup and we all look forward to pictures.

happyfeet

Originally Posted by braydonosu
http:///forum/post/3131630
This is too funny, I'm trying to do the same thing as well. Kind of a bet with myself to keep a 75 gal build under $500. Good luck with your setup and we all look forward to pictures.
It's actually a lot easier than I thought. I could of made it for A lot less than I did. It seems like everything I bought people were trying to give me lighting for free.
I have 4 extra light sources now. 2 T5HO and 2 Compact Flors. I'll hook the Compacts up to my Turf Algae scrubber I guess.
I also went ahead and bought the expensive items on craigslist when I realized I had a lot of wiggle room in my budget.

braydonosu

I'm still working on the lighting system for my new build. In Cincinnati saltwater is not that big so the craigs list pickings are pretty slim. I'm thinking about going with the 'HO' T5 setup from the traders site (cheaper and hopefully will be nice once I upgrade the bulbs) I'm also going to build my own stand. Around here people think that they should get as much out of their setups as they put into them. 55 salt setups for $750+. Right now my dilema is do I set up the new tank and then just hope that someone here will give me $250 - $300 for my custom 40 setup?