crappy hydrometer

fishboy091

i went to my lfs a couple of days ago and i wanted to buy a hydrometer. i started to go to the checkout line when an employee stopped me and said you dont want to buy that one (about $13) you need this one (about $4) so i said ok and bought it. it really sucks. i cant tell how to check the salinity. it looks like a in water thermometer but has a skinnier part at the top for the hydrometer. the brand is aquatic gardens. should i have bought the one that was expensive? or can somebody tell me how to read it?

jumpfrog

ALL plastic hydrometers are inherintly bad. They can at best give you a ball park figure and will probably be inconsistent at doing that.
The best thing you can do is buy a refractometer. Good ones are available from $50 - $100 almost everywhere.
When you think about it, you'll probably stock your tank with hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of animals. Do you want to rely on a cheap plastic item to determine a level as important as salinity.
My $.02.

uberlink

You can actually buy a decent refractometer on the big auction site for $20-30 plus shipping. Money VERY well spent.

ruaround

are you talking about the dual function hydrometer witha thermometer???
if you have this one it is a POS!!! take it back!!! you really should spend the extra $$ and get a refractometer...

nate0729

i got one of those a while back. it just got covered in coraline and i couldn't read it anymore. Not that i could in the first place.
Get a refractometer, you'll love it.

nytrillium

Im sorry but i dont understand why people have such a problem wiht glass floating hydrometers.... I bought one at hte lfs for 12$ (combo hydrometer thermometer) and ive had the LFS check the salinity with their refractometer and it was exactly what i measured it at. Its not that hard to read, the thing floats and where the water level is is what your salinity is. If you float it in your tank it will just bob around and isnt worth a dam. You should get a separate glass/clear plastic tube to float it in.

fishboy091

Originally Posted by NYTrillium
Im sorry but i dont understand why people have such a problem wiht glass floating hydrometers.... I bought one at hte lfs for 12$ (combo hydrometer thermometer) and ive had the LFS check the salinity with their refractometer and it was exactly what i measured it at. Its not that hard to read, the thing floats and where the water level is is what your salinity is. If you float it in your tank it will just bob around and isnt worth a dam. You should get a separate glass/clear plastic tube to float it in.

To tell you the truth, i couldnt figure out how to read it.
lol. Thanks, its the perfect salinity. BTW, what brand is yours? Mine is aquatic gardens.

nytrillium

On the top part, the thin tube part, it says "Marine Enterprises" and thats all i know... I dont have the original packaging and i dont remember what it was whne i bought it.
Incidentially mine has a green band between 2.0 and 2.05 (the "ideal" range)

jerthunter

The guy at the fish store did you a favor in my opinion. The floating bulb type hydrometer is very accurate and inexpensive. As was already mentioned test your water in a seperate container where the water isn't causing it to bob all around. That is just my opinion, I wouldn't spend the $50 for a refractometer or the $13 dollars for a crappy plastic swing arm hydrometer. Just look at the water level where it floats and that is your specific gravity, mine has a nice green line at 1.025 so it is even easier for me to read...

kengaroo

I just got my refractmeter yesterday. After I calberate it, I did a water test and my salt level was at 1.029. My plastic hydrometer is reading 1.024. That a big difference. Now I have to slowly drop my salt level down. It was well worth spending $35 including shipping from the famous auction site.

milomlo

Originally Posted by kengaroo
I just got my refractmeter yesterday. After I calberate it, I did a water test and my salt level was at 1.029. My plastic hydrometer is reading 1.024. That a big difference. Now I have to slowly drop my salt level down. It was well worth spending $35 including shipping from the famous auction site.

Yes I agree!! I spent around 30 plus shipping from that same site and my salinity was off of what I thought it was too. I highly recommend getting the refractometer.

nytrillium

I havent ever used one but the plastic box swing arm type arent very appealing to me... It just screams inaccurate and inconsistant. I would buy a refractometer but i haent had any problems with my floating one so far.