Crazy Algae

icon83

Hey everyone,,,a few weeks ago, algae started to accumulate on the parts of LR that are exposed to the light. i started to rub it off with a toothbrush, and then i went away for a little and i came back and the tank was covered in green, brown, and some purple looking algae. I brushed it off as best as i could and took out large chunks of it that were floating around with a net. now, it regrows very fast, it is such a pain to go in there with a toothbrush every 5 days. I tried getting some snails to clean up but they died as soon as i put them in. right now i only have 1 damsel in the tank and i am having trouble adding anything, i acclimated the snails slowly and carefully, but they died,,,i then tried again 2 days later and acclimated even slower and they still died. the lighting i have is a florescent power-glo light. I also have some blue mushrooms that used to look great, but don't anymore; they are smaller and covered in algae. (i don't want to brush them with the toothbrush). if anyone has any ideas on what i can do about the algae or about adding livestock, please write back. my tank used to look so good, now it is in a slump...im getting frustrated. thanks!

bigarn

How long has your tank been up? The purple algae might be coraline which is very good...you want this. By brushing it ,your releaseing the spores which spread it throughout the tank.
Coraline comes in many colors,but the brown algae might be Diatoms...this is normal for a newly cycled tankand by doing the proper things it will dissapear.
I need to know how long your tank has been up to possibly give more suggestions. :D

liontamer

Are u using tap water? Also, wat is the wattage on the light. Ther might not be good enough lighting, that could be the problem. Is the algae hairy? The purple stuff is probably coralline, and the other stuff.... it mostly means its healthy. Try out using an algae blenny. Some people say they dont eat algae for them, but mine myself eats it like a machine. If that fish doesnt work, then..... Try using a phosphate reducer pad that can be bought at the lfs.

aqua39

i'd say try the phosphate pad first, then add the the snails once your tank is back under control.