Crazy Clowns & a ?

fishymama

I have 2 Ocellaris Clowns in the tank and they are rubbing all over the rock. There is nothing on them and they seem to be okay. I know this is normal for them with an anemone is it normal with rocks? I was just wanting to know when I can get them some corals in there.
Thanks
Cassie :happyfish

darthgoby

When I had clowns that were rubbing themselves on rocks, it meant that they had ich. Rubbing on rocks is one way for fish to try and dislodge parasites.

fishgeek01

This could also be pre spawning behavior. The fish will clean the site with their bodies, mouths, any way they can to make sure there is nothing on the surface when they lay eggs. My gsm lay eggs avery 14 days or so, and this is quite a common occurance in my tank. How old are they, how long have you had them. My gsm host my xenia. They will host wuite a few different types. frogspawn, torches, anchors, xenia, toadstool, anthelia, I have had clowns host all of these corals when an anemone is not available

fishymama

Originally Posted by Fishgeek01
This could also be pre spawning behavior. The fish will clean the site with their bodies, mouths, any way they can to make sure there is nothing on the surface when they lay eggs. My gsm lay eggs avery 14 days or so, and this is quite a common occurance in my tank. How old are they, how long have you had them. My gsm host my xenia. They will host wuite a few different types. frogspawn, torches, anchors, xenia, toadstool, anthelia, I have had clowns host all of these corals when an anemone is not available

I don't have any corals nor anemomes in my take right now. That is wht I was wondering if this was normal? They have been in the tank for a week now. I am not sure how old they are, but they are no more then a half inch. Also, I have looked at them and not seen any si;gns of Ick. So I am uncertain if Ick is the problem. I can't not yet tell a size difference in the 2 clowns either, I know a female will be larger. I will look once again to see if there are any spots.
So back to my other questions, when can corals and anemones be added? I am sure they won't hurt themselves, but I would hate to see it happen.
Cassie

fishymama

I take my comment back about one not being bigger. I just went and looked to thriple check for spots and there is nothing. But I do have one that is bigger. The bigger of the two though is no larger than a half inch.
Cassie